Chapter 2

Alden waved Sophie into his office. 'So, what did you want to talk to me about?' Sophie nodded at Sandor to give the letter and pictures to him. With each line Alden read, the furrow between his eyebrows grew deeper and deeper. 'When did you get this letter?'
'Just now. I hailed you as soon as I finished reading it.' Sophie replied. She tugged on her eyelashes nervously. 'What do I do? Tell the Black Swan? Meet up with them? Nothing?' She was stuck on what to do.

The letter:
Dear Miss Foster,
We have been keeping a close eye on you for some time now. This is because we believe you have something that doesn't belong to you.

You have two choices, Sophie. You can meet us at the place where you took it from us, or you can go running to your precious 'Black Swan'. Naturally, there is a third choice. You can do absolutely nothing, but then you will have to live with the guilt of having someone you will want to know... be dead. You will have four days to make your decision. Choose wisely.

Of course we don't expect you to be that smart, so we have provided you with a clue to find the item you stole from us.

Something that glitters,
Something that's used,
Something that snuggles,
Something that's you.

Let's see if the Moonlark can figure out what this means...
See you soon,
The Red Raven

'Have you heard of the Red Raven?' Sophie asked. Surely Alden would have heard of another organisation, right? Alden sighed and ran his hand through his hair. 'I haven't, no. Maybe you should ask the Black Swan. But honestly, I'm sure there's no reason to worry.' Alden tried to reassure her, but Sophie could tell that he had no meaning behind those words. For once, the great Alden Vacker didn't didn't believe his own catchphrase, and that made Sophie worried.

'So, care to explain why you dragged us all to Havenfield, without giving us enough time to prepare The Hair?' Keefe grumbled, raising his eyebrow at Sophie. His hair looked perfectly normal to her, but to Keefe it probably looked like Sophie's bed head. 'Not everyone needs three hours to put on hair gel,' Biana sighed and rolled her eyes. 'Anyway, I'm sure Sophie has a perfectly good reason for being us all here. Right?' She encouraged her best friend.

Sophie looked around the room, staring at the expectant faces of:
•twelve councillors
•five leaders of the Black Swan
•Alden and Della
•Grady and Edaline
•Keefe
•Fitz
•Biana
•Wylie
•Maruca
•Marella and
•Stina
'Um... as some of you may already know, this morning I received a letter. An organisation called the 'Red Raven' has been spying on me, and has threatened to kill someone- I think- unless I give them something. But I don't know what that 'thing' is. Also, I only have four days to find this thing.' Silence. Then came the bombardement of questions, mostly by the adults in the room. 'Miss Foster, what do you mean, 'kill someone'?' Councilor Emery asked. Sophie showed him the letter, and waited patiently as it was passed from hand to hand. Once the letter had been returned back to her and everyone had read what it said, she spoke up again. 'Has anyone heard of the 'Red Raven'?' Sophie questioned. Everyone shook their heads. 'Ok, what about any information on the person 'I would want to know'?' Rustles filled the room as everyone shook their heads again. 'And the riddle?' Another series of head shakes. Sophie sighed. 'Does anyone know anything at all?' 'No' came ringing around the room in different variations. Great.
Suddenly, someone spoke up. It was Bronte. 'I recognise the name, but I can't seem to remember why. I think... I think that the other first councillors may have hidden something away in their caches, and if so, it's most likely that I did too, given the fact that I can't recall anything about the 'Red Raven', but can identify the name. I suggest we open the old caches, and possibly the ones of the current council too. We shouldn't be keeping so many secrets from ourselves, and Miss Foster's impenetrable mind will easily be able to hide any secrets that we uncover.' Sophie was very surprised. Granted, Bronte wasn't on the list of councillors that hated her, and he had even taken her side and shown a softer side of him when it was needed, but he had never actually suggested a plan that was deliberately for Sophie's aid. It seemed like some of the other elves, like Mr Forkle and Alden, where surprised too, but Emery quickly shushed the whispers by agreeing with the plan.
'Miss Foster, do we have your permission to become the first Keeper for the Forgotten Secrets?' Councillor Emery asked. This was going surprisingly quick for the council, who Sophie knew would never rush such an important decision, but the council had probably discussed it telepathically before being up the suggestion. Sophie nodded to the question, and then Emery told her to meet the council at his tower the next day. Once they were finished, everyone leaped home.