Prologue

He sat outside his small den, watching the sun rise above the hills and trees surrounding his home. He smiled, seeing the world greet him with a new day. It was always lovely to see the sun, especially recently. The years had gone by and he still had his friend by his side.

He stepped out beside him, sitting down next to him.

"Hey, feline. Are you doing okay?"

"Yeah, just been thinking about her."

The taller cat shook his head, leaning against his friend. "She's safe now, you know she was hurting."

He nodded. She was unique to him, even more than the world itself. She had brought a new joy into his life and he would never forget her. But there was something else, something that bothered him.
"Is this it?" The smaller cat asked. "Is this all there is to our lives?"

"I don't think so," he replied. "You and me, we've been through so much together, done so many things, and been together every step of the way."

"What are you getting at?"

"What about what you and I could do? We're here together, watching the sunrise on a beautiful day, enjoying each other's company, How good could this possibly get? What more could there be to life than this?"

The other cat chuckled, "I guess you have a point." He stretched his back, walking over to the edge of the small clearing they sat in and looking out over the hills. "I'd like to think there's more, that there's more to this world than this."

"I hope that there is. But for now, let's just enjoy our time together, maybe even make the most of the day." The larger cat said, sighing happily.

The smaller feline nodded in agreement, smiling and beginning to turn before a bright flash filled his vision. His eyes opened as he stood, surrounded by nothing but the white light. He heard the larger cat grunt before hearing an impact, he struggled to move as the light faded, feeling lightheaded. He looked down to see his friend, lying on the ground and motionless. There were no injuries on his body... the cat gasped, leaning down to listen for a pulse, but he couldn't hear anything. He tried to call out, but couldn't even muster a scream. He reached down, trying to shake him awake, but the large cat didn't move.

"Hey, this isn't funny... get up..!"

His friend didn't respond, he laid still and silent. The smaller cat felt tears welling in his eyes, and he shook him once more. He refused to believe it, he was too young, too full of life to be gone.
"Get up! Please, Badger!"
The smaller cat ran his paws over Badger's body as if it would wake him from his slumber, but his friend was dead. The smaller feline continued to cry, knowing there was no one else around for him to cry to, or even who would help him. He laid down by his side, crying into his chest.
"I'm so sorry..."