Chapter 24

~(Tyler's POV)~

As the days went on, they became darker and colder. The days soon began weeks as the temperature plummeted.

Christmas was almost here. I was freezing my ass off outside with Jamari for as long as possible.

I don't know when my father will wake up or when my mother will ban me from seeing him. I'm doing all this to have memories of him.

My mother's warning also came to mind when he would be active in his criminal-related activities.  But it's not the only thing haunting me of where he came from.

My father is in the hospital. Unconscious with all those wires and tubes hooked up to him, it saddens me to see him like that.

On one recent visit, I felt him squeeze my hand. And the doctor said that's a good sign his brain and body is still functioning. He's just trapped for a while.

"Is that a mistletoe?" Jamari says with a sly grin looking up at the ceiling.

"Yeah no..you aren't getting me that easily."
I push him downward on the pillow, as I climb onto his lap.

His hands traveled up my legs and rested on my thighs. "Imma get you one of these days. Just wait."

He patted on my thighs in sync and his grin expression faded into concern. "Tyler, do you wanna talk about it?"

Talk about it? Where do I start? My mom is back after leaving me several years ago. My had a drug overdose due to the Raven drugging him, you know, your father. Now he's in a comatose state and I don't know when he is waking up.

Then apparently, the Raven and my parents knew each other from high school but never ever mentioned it to me. Until now. Also my mother's drug supplier was the Raven which is why she left those several years ago.

Finally I love you but- "Hey" Jamari says, snapping me out of my spiral.

"You don't have to if you don't want to."

I sighed deeply, "It's just a lot going on and it makes me go crazy just trying to process all of it."

He scoffs. "Wait until you find out. I have a sister."

I looked at him with widened eyes.

"You have a sister??" I throw my hands into the air.

"Since birth. Were you not listening when my dad was there he mentioned her?"

Did he just? I roll my eyes and get off of his lap to sit next to him.

"Sorry. I forgot, a lot going on."

He hummed. "She just came back to town, a week or two before Halloween."

He puts his phone in my hand, "This is her as a baby." he says as he points to the sleeping baby between two arms. I squint my eyes, move the phone closer, and turn up the brightness.

That white boy looks oddly familiar. Wait a minute.

"Your ass gonna be blind if you don't back up off the screen or turn down the brightness atleast.

I point to the awkward-looking white boy on the screen. "You know who that is?"

"I have no idea who that is. I've been asking my father but he won't tell me."

"I think I do." I put his phone side-to-side to my face and turned towards him. "Look familiar?"

I wonder if were they ever close friends. In this picture my father looks so awkward but he's doing that thing when he's flustered. Smiling very, very hard.

Jamari's father looks so happy too. Too happy.

My dad looks kinda, fruity in this. Dressing as Freddy Mercury is such an interesting choice...I wonder if.

Never mind, my father is the straightest man I know. He could never.