New Starts

"Islie said she's gonna show me where the playground is and where to put my book bag and my coat." Ella said as she swivelled on the desk chair opposite me. "And she said if I can't find anyone to play with in the playground then I can go and find her."

"That's nice of her. I could probably show you where the playground is too. I went to that school too you know Ella Belle." I said, looking up from my laptop.

"When you were 4?" she asked.

"No, no, when Mummy and my Daddy moved to Weatherfield. I was 6." I told her.

"When are we going to the bakery? You said we'd get a cake before we went to buy school shoes." She said.

"I know, I'm just sending this last email Ella Belle." I told her and she nodded as she continued to spin on her chair.

Mum, Peter, Isla and Tally were down in Portsmouth for a few days, and I had agreed with Mum that I would keep Ella here. Her and Isla had had the entire summer holidays and to say they were doing each other's heads in was an understatement. It had been nice, quiet in the house, which was lovely after a busy summer holiday.

I had flown over to Ireland for a week with the girls while Mum was in charge of the factory and then she'd taken the girls down to Devon with Peter. He had had his liver transplant in June, which meant the five of them got to spend some time all together. We had a few weeks all of us at home, but with Rosie and Raffy there too, the place turned into utter carnage.

I took Ella over to the bakery and dropped off a few details about orders with the girls whilst Ella had a cake. She sat on the small sofa in the office and ate it while I opened the post for that day.

"Orla, have we got any of the carrot cake coming back in?" Faye called through from the front of the shop. I walked through as I opened my letter.

"No, no we don't. Why?" I asked.

"Just this gentleman was asking." Faye said, pointing to the man stood on the other side of the counter. I looked at him, but after a double take, I recognised him.

"Hi Ben, how are you?" I asked him as I walked towards him.

"Hi, I'm good thanks. You busy?" he said.

"Yeah always." I told him.

"I guess that's why you never called." He said.

"Oh, I was meant to call, oh Ben, I'm so sorry. I did keep your number honest but I've just had so much going on. I'm sorry." I said to him.

"Don't worry. I've been busy too." He said. I heard crying coming from the office.

"Excuse me a second." I said and ran back to find Ella.

"I bit my finger." Ella said. I kissed her sticky finger as I lifted her onto my hip.

"Hey, it's alright." I said as I walked back out to the shop. "Sorry about that." I said to Ben.

"Don't worry, who's this little one? I didn't know you had a kid." He said.

"No no, she's not mine. This is my sister, Ella." I told him. She let her head fall onto my shoulder as she licked the icing off her fingers. "Do you want to say hello Belle?" I asked her.

"Hello." She said, lifting her head and then placing it back on my shoulder quickly.

"Look, I'm sorry, we've got to head into town. I'm sorry about the carrot cake too. I promise not to leave it so long this time." I told him as I took my phone out of my back pocket. "Here, put your number in here." I said, handing him my phone. He did it, before giving me my phone back.