Mount Marcy

In March 2001, my boyfriend (now husband) Tim gave me the gift of adventure, introducing me to the Adirondack mountains. He outfitted me with gear for my birthday, except for one infamous purchase – boots. Little did I know, those boots would become an inside joke between us.

As I wandered through the aisles of outdoor equipment, I quickly realized the hefty price tags. Being a college student and working for an after school care program, my budget was tight. We went to Ramsey Outdoor, where Tim invested in a costly pair of La Sportiva Nepal Extremes and offered to buy the same for me. I, however, chose the $59 Columbia boots on sale. Tim emphasized the importance of warmth and proper gear in the mountains, but I couldn't justify the expense at the time. It turned out I'd learn the hard way.

This hike was a real humbling experience.  Transitioning from zero workouts to a 16-mile trek with over 3,500 feet of elevation gain? Not the brightest idea. And then there was the adventure of breaking in new boots on my very first high peak ascent – equally unwise. That night, inside my sleeping bag, I placed all my trust in a cotton sweatshirt to brave single-digit temperatures. Let's just say that made for an interesting choice. Maybe I should've picked an easier peak in the Adirondacks, but who wants easy when you can have a good story, right?

Mount Marcy, New York's tallest peak, greeted us with a winter wonderland. The snow-draped trees and pristine surroundings were truly magical. As we neared the summit, we strapped on our snowshoes. I confess, I was a tad nervous as we ascended, exposed and high above. Finding a spot to gear up was a challenge, for me. but we made it to the top, celebrating with headstands and capturing memories on film. The last picture on the roll captured my descent, and I was in awe when I got it developed, filled with pride at accomplishing my first outdoor trek.

The descent down the mountain felt endless. My snowshoe strap broke on the way down, forcing me to remove my snowshoes. When I stepped off the trail to let someone pass, I ended up waist-deep in the snow. We laughed so hard, and I was so tired that I couldn't free myself; Tim had to rescue me from that snowy pit. And in that same moment, nature called – my very first "bathroom break" in the great outdoors. Luckily, my unplanned snow pitfall became the perfect spot to answer nature's call!

My budget boots let me down on the return journey. My feet were cold and aching. Finally, reaching the car was a relief, and I gladly bid farewell to those boots and embraced a warm shower. Tim had promised it would be one of the best showers of my life, and he was absolutely right. It was heavenly!

This adventure reinforced the importance of carrying a change of shoes, a lesson I had neglected. Wrestling those painful boots back on was a struggle, but there was no other choice. Tim came to the rescue with a piggyback ride to dinner at Cascade Motor Lodge, conveniently where we were staying. The steak dinner turned out to be one of the finest I've ever tasted, accompanied by many cold Labatt Blue's.

Reflecting on my first ascent, rather than giving up and never returning, my passion for the outdoors grew stronger. This journey inspired me to become a 46er by conquering all 46 high peaks over 4,000 feet. With Peak #1 of 46 now a cherished memory, I'm thankful for this incredible experience. And now, I'm hitting the trails with the best boots, continually training, and understanding that cotton is no match for the mountains.

 And now, I'm hitting the trails with the best boots, continually training, and understanding that cotton is no match for the mountains