Esther and Whiteface

Our day started super early at 2:30 am, a bit comical considering others were probably winding down from Thanksgiving Eve while we geared up for our adventure. With our headlamps guiding us, we aimed for Esther and Whiteface, seeking peaks 20 and 21.

Starting a hike in the dark used to make me a bit nervous because I couldn't see much. But now, oddly enough, I enjoy it. It helps me focus on what's right in front. When the sun finally appeared, everything before that felt like a blur. The sky turned vibrant with orange, red, and yellow hues, adding an extra touch of gratitude to our Thanksgiving adventure.

Standing atop Esther Mountain at 4,239 feet felt like a great achievement. Imagining a 15-year-old, Esther McComb, conquering it in 1893 is truly remarkable. It's mind-boggling to think that over a hundred years ago, there wasn't an REI or outdoor store to buy gear for such adventures. I found myself thinking on how different it must have been—what gear she might have worn, what provisions she carried, and how she navigated without the modern tools we rely on today. Her bravery and resourcefulness remain incredibly inspiring, especially when you consider the differences between her time and ours..

Next was Whiteface Mountain, soaring at 4,867 feet, New York's fifth highest peak. It became famous for hosting skiing during the 1980 Winter Olympics. Remember the "Miracle on Ice" game? That happened in Lake Placid! What's unique about Whiteface is that you can drive up to the top using the Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway—a feature different from other mountains we've explored.

We had the entire summit to ourselves! It was an amazing moment. Bundled up warmly, taking countless pictures, and FaceTiming loved ones to share Thanksgiving wishes made it even more unforgettable.

Choosing to stroll back to our car via the highway was delightful. Walking leisurely, enjoying the views, and descending gradually marked a peaceful end to our adventure-filled day.

Our day wrapped up with a celebratory ice cream treat at Stewart's—sometimes, dessert deserves the spotlight first! Stewart's ice cream is just irresistible, their flavors making it tough to pick just one. It's always a must-stop whenever we're around here. Then, dinner at the Great Adirondack Brewing Company by Mirror Lake was perfect. I savored a delicious prime rib, while Tim enjoyed a juicy burger. Sitting by the fire outside as snowflakes fell was an ideal conclusion to such an incredible day!

Excitingly, our next goal—Street and Nye peaks—puts us at the halfway point of this thrilling challenge. Stay tuned for more mountain adventures!

 Stay tuned for more mountain adventures!