3 Months later

DAKOTA CITY

1320 HOURS

"We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected for our paid internship program for this year. Your joining letter and other details are shared in the mail as attachments.

You are required to join by using your login credentials. Follow the steps below to accept your joining letter."

Fakhir felt a sudden bout of emotions seeing the content of the mail, this was not his work, it was Brenda's work and he still felt strange about the whole situation but as Brenda said she wanted the internship at any cost, and since he was already planning about a part-time job he could use this opportunity. This project of Brenda about integrating Health data and the financial condition of the rural counties which she had insisted he join along with her has landed them both this internship. He had accepted her request only when she agreed to take most of the credits.

He could not believe how smooth life was meant to go once he decided to crawl out of his comfort level. This was going to be his first earning and he could not wait to tell Annie about it.

The picture he had imagined for some time felt real now, the future he wanted to give his family, to Anaya, and to maybe Annie... Shivering with happiness he swiped the screen where a few calls from Annie some three hours ago were already waiting for him, his stars could not align better today, he thought bemusedly but the Pak clock on his screen told him it was way past her bedtime so he thought for a moment before dialing her number.

"I wish we were together Annie, I wish you two were here with me..." he wished just before everything changed.

***

A couple of hours earlier.

Karachi

7:37 PM

"Ayman, you are a genius with the brushes, Yaar," Faiza exclaimed seeing the magic unfolding in front of her by the calculated strokes of Ayman's brushes. The way she expertly switched between different sizes made Faiza gawk at her. "hame to pata hi nahi tha tumhe itna achha makeup aata hai." Faiza brushed aside some of the baby hairs on her forehead of Annie while still leaning on the dressing table.

"pahle hamari inti baatein hi nahi hui kabhi, I felt you guys were always involved with each other, I often went lonely here," Ayman replied distractedly because her eyes and brain were focused on the colors starting to appear on Annie's closed eyes.

"Sorry Ayman...we are really sorry how you felt because of us" Annie mumbled.

"Guys, kya ho gaya hai." Ayman kept aside the brush kept her hands on her hips and stared at both sisters. "even I didn't initiate from my side but now it is all in the past...and let me complete it." she smiled and knelt to grab the other bag that she had kept there.

"haan, ye bhi theek hai." Faiza smiled. "Par sach me Ay,man tumhe dekh kar bikul nahi lagta ki tumhe itna achha makeup aata hoga aur tum kabhi use bhi nahi karti kuch bhi." Faiza wondered.

"Haan kyunki mujhe interest hai par Amma ko nahi pasand aur hamare yaha abhi koi aisa function bhi nahi hua ki taiyar hone ki jaroorat ho...last time we had a big party was when Annie and Fakhir got married and that was more than three years ago tab to hum kitne chhote bhi the." Ayman's rare but beautiful smile adorned her face but it cut something inside Annie.

"the marriage that was already ending... the day Badi Ammi came into her room for the papers was when she knew it was going to be finalized and from that day she felt like something was not right but if Fakhir himself didn't want to stop it how could she stop when it was her in the first place who had asked for a divorce.