A Year later

Karachi 6:00 AM

"Arey bhai sab kaha ho, Annie, Aiman....Uff Faiza! you guys promised to do everything in the morning and now no one is still awake." Ayesha sat on the lawn chairs after she was convinced no one was waking up this early for cleaning. But they had to be quick, Fakhir's flight was to land at 11 this morning and there were still so many things to do.

Fehmi had assured her she would help her in the kitchen but before they started any cooking they still had to dust and wipe it.

"this was the last time she trusted these girls, she was so not going to trust them ever again." with the resolve came another bout of frustration and she looked at the upper floors at Annie's room.

"Annie Beghum aap hi jaag jayen, Miyan aa raha hai Aapka..."

Ayesha knew her frequent calls and shouts in the morning made Annie irritated but she just couldn't help, Fakhir was coming and after more than a year, her son in law who had never left a chance to become her son was coming... her daughter's husband was coming and she wanted to let everyone know about how happy she was.

"kya ho gaya Ayesha... janti to ho no one wakes up here this early and they are smart girls they would complete their work in minutes when they want." Samina offered her the tray and then proceeded to take another chair.

"Bhabhi, you brought the tea...I am so sorry I disturbed your sleep." Ayesha apologized.

"Arey...No, the truth is I was not getting the sleep, I think I didn't get any sleep last night, can you believe Ayesha, Fakhir is coming."Sameena was beaming.

" I did not like that the girls knew about it for a month but he told us just two days back... maybe he knew that's how we were going to react." Fehmi joined them with her cup of tea. The lawn now had three chairs for the three ladies of the house and as so many things this was one more change to the Zaheer house.

"you are right Fehmi, our kids have really grown up... they know their mothers so well." Sameena sipped her tea.

"But Bhabhi, we need to wake them up... I could have done the things but then they would get upset why did I do it on my own, especially Annie." Ayesha nudged Sameena to wake the girls.

"Relax Bhabhi... Aiman told me Fakhir could not board the connecting or whatever it is in Dubai...so he'll be reaching here by evening." Fehmi told her with a smile.

"Arey... what is this behaviour Bhabhi, don't mind haan Bhabhi but you need to pull his ears when he comes here...how can he miss the flight." Ayesha's irritation was shifted somewhere else.

"Haan bhai, sab kar lenge.let him come first ." Sameena took another sip and recalled the time and the situation when her son had left the house. She didn't want him to leave the house, she didn't want Annie and his divorce, but just like his father, he had surprised her with his decisions.

He had proved so far that there was a lot of Zaheer in him, perhaps both of them were individuals with a clear heart who believed in the bigger picture and never shied away from taking risks.

Earlier she was afraid about his meals and habits but seeing him turn out into a tall and healthy young man just like Zaheer was at that age had made her trust more in the wheel of time and Allah... she had always believed in Allah when things didn't work out and every time Allah had given her more than it had taken.

"Bhabhi ...did you notice how much he resembles Zaheer Bhai these days," Fehmi commented and Sameena looked at her unoriented.

"Sorry, what did you say?"

*****

6:45 AM

"When did this happen Bhai... he didn't say anything like that in his texts last night." Annie wondered when Aiman announced the flight delay.