Chapter 6: Impressions

The next morning, I went back into Meredith's office. The pile of boards was still there—I didn't dream that. Daylight filled the office, illuminating the dust particles floating in the air. It all looked so peaceful, like my experience last night was all just a bad dream.

Except that it wasn't. The now-exposed window was proof of that. I shut the door and locked it again, deciding not to dwell on it. Instead, I went downstairs to have breakfast.

Mom was sitting at the smaller round table in the kitchen, while Carlos was making coffee. She had her cast rested up on a second chair. "How was your sleep?" She asked when I entered the room.

I shrugged as I heaped scrambled eggs onto a plate along with the two strips of bacon that were left in the pan. "It was alright, I guess."

I sat down across from her and started eating my breakfast. At some point I realized that the room was uncharacteristically quiet, and I looked up from my plate. Mom and Carlos were sharing a knowing glance with each other as he brought the coffee over. "What?" I demanded.

"Oh, nothing!" Carlos exclaimed, a shit-eating grin spreading across his face. He passed me a mug, which I took with a glare and sipped. My irritation faded when I discovered he'd made me a double-double—my favourite.

"Roger came over this morning," Mom said. "Even though he's off today."

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay, and?"

"He asked if you were awake. I told him you weren't, and he asked me to give you his number."

I blinked, surprised. "Really? Why?"

She grinned. "What do you mean, 'why'?! I think it's pretty clear you made an impression on the boy!"

I smiled in spite of myself and took another gulp of my coffee. I'd never really given any thought about dating or guys in general—especially with how busy school could be—but now that I had nothing but time on my hands, maybe it was time I gave it a try. "What's his number? I'll call him later."

"Funny you should ask, Baby Sis, because I wrote it down for you!" Carlos passed me a scrap of paper, still grinning like a dumbass. I rolled my eyes and snatched it out of his hands.

I put my dishes in the sink and went to leave, but I stopped and turned to face Mom. "Hey, you know... I've been thinking about your guys' offer. For me to stay here?"

She perked up. "Yes?"

"I think I'll do it. Just for a bit, anyway, until I've saved up some money."

She smiled. "I'm glad to hear it."

~

I laid on my bed, staring at Roger's number typed into my phone. It would be easy enough to just put it in my phone contacts and press the call button...so why wasn't I doing it?

The truth was, I was nervous. It was like high school all over again—standing in the hall, awkward and insecure, waiting for your crush to notice you.

I groaned. Goddammit, this was stupid.

I bit the bullet and pressed 'call'. The phone rang. And rang. And rang. Maybe it wasn't too late to turn back...

The ringing stopped and my breath caught. His voice answered, crackly but unmistakable: "Hello?"

"Hi, Roger?" I piped up. "It's Calista."

"Oh hey! How are you?"

"Good! Uh... My mom gave me your number. What's up?"

"Well..." he laughed awkwardly. "This is a bit weird, but I was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner sometime?"