Epilogue

As I waited for the boys to finish packing up Carlos's sedan, I sat on the stairs with Mom's urn. Whether she was still hovering over me or not, it was comforting to talk to her.

"I have good news!" I told her. "I'm getting my money back for this semester. They never got my information back, but they said they were willing to refund my tuition for this year due to wasted time. Dad said Carlos and I can live with him for the foreseeable future, as long as we pull our own weight and all that. He's going to try and find a house for us in Kitchener. How cool is that?"

A lump formed in my throat, making tears well up in my eyes. "Thank you for saving my life," I murmured. "I'm sorry I couldn't save yours."

A warm sensation enveloped me, like a hug. I closed my eyes and let the tears fall down my cheeks.

The sound of footsteps on gravel made me look up. Carlos and Roger were waiting for me. I wiped my eyes and stood up, clutching Mom close to my chest. "Is it time to go already?" I asked, attempting a joking manner.

"It sure is!" Carlos exclaimed. "Time to leave this place in the dust!"

Roger put his arm around me and guided me to the car. "I'll miss you, you know."

I gave him a kiss. "I'll miss you too. I'll call you when we get home."

"I for one am glad to be getting out of here," Carlos said, staring up at the house with a shiver. "I can't believe Robert was watching through our walls the whole time!"

I looked back at the woods. Knowing Robert's remains were buried among the trees and away from everyone else put a smile on my face. "Well, he's gone for good now." I looked at Carlos. "We should go. Dad's waiting back home."

Carlos slid into the driver's seat, and I went into the passenger's. I blew Roger another kiss, which he grabbed with his hand and put in his pocket. I grinned, and snuck one last look up at the hollow mansion that plagued me for years. Milford, Meredith, and Virginia were at peace, and Mom would soon be too. I only hoped that I would someday find peace as well.

In one of the second floor windows, a dark shape moved, catching my attention. The shiver it sent down my spine was unmistakable. I looked away, and held Mom's urn tightly in my lap.

We drove away, leaving the shadow of the past to fester within the walls of Kendrick House forever.