Chapter 11: Digging Deeper

When my eyes opened in the middle of the night, I was not awake. I felt myself get out of bed and stare into the darkness, a passenger in my body. Then my limbs moved and stood me up.

I walked to my door and opened it. I went down the dark hallway, all the way to my old bedroom—Meredith's room. Quietly, I turned the doorknob and went inside. I went past the armoire and Meredith's office door, to the right side of the bed.

There, I kneeled and lifted the skirt that lined the space between my mattress and the floor.

Directly across from my line of sight was my suitcase, which I'd tucked underneath when I first moved in. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be seeing, until my arm reached out. One of the floorboards stuck up against the wall, and my hand wiggled it free to reveal something in the space underneath.

In disbelief, I watched as I reached in and pulled out an old, folded yellow piece of paper. I sat up on my knees and unfolded it. As I read the writing on it, my breath caught.

If anyone finds this, know that I, Virginia Clement, did not disappear.

I stared in confusion and curiosity. Who was Virginia Clement, and why did she leave a note under there?

My head slowly turned to my left, and my heart stopped when I made eye contract with Meredith Kendrick. She looked as gaunt and bloodied as she had a week ago, but this time, she spoke.

"These walls have eyes. Hide what you've found, lest he come for you." Her voice sounded like a whisper in the wind.

My vision blurred as a throbbing pain shot through my skull. I hissed and fell to the floor.

The next thing I knew, I was sitting upright in my bed in the guest room. The sun was up, and my alarm clock read 10:30am. I rolled out of bed and rushed to my old bedroom. I checked the exact spot underneath the bed, where the floorboard was loose.

Sure enough, it came off, but when I felt around, nothing was there.

~

I was distracted all throughout my shift at work. I tried convincing myself that what I'd experienced last night was either a vivid dream or some kind of hallucination, but it was pointless. It was real, and that unnerved me.

At long last, my shift ended. I gathered my bag and jacket from the backroom, waved goodbye to my co-worker Lindsay, and punched out.

Roger was waiting for me in his car across the street. I looked both ways before crossing over. I made my way around the car to the passenger seat and slid inside. "I was thinking we could go get a sub for lunch," he suggested as I buckled myself in. "What do you think?"

I threw my bag in the back seat. "Sure, that sounds great. Could you help me with something first, though?"

"Yeah, sure. What is it?"

"I need you to take me to the library."

He raised an eyebrow. "What for?"

"It's complicated."

He smiled sweetly. "I can try to keep up."

I took a deep breath, and started explaining. "Okay, I know this sounds totally insane, but I've been seeing things lately inside of Kendrick House. Things that aren't there. At first, I thought I was going insane, but I think there's something deeper going on now."

"What, like it's haunted?"

"Yes, exactly! It all started when I found Meredith Kendrick's office. She was Robert's great-great aunt," I explained. "Ever since I opened that door, I've been having these...visions of things that happened in the past. I saw Meredith in my room! She looked like a real person, and she chased me down the hall, like I was in a nightmare! It was awful..."