Chapter 1 - Injury

SOUNDTRACK: Take Two (BTS)

Tang Jiale always caught everyone's attention. Mingyu was fine with that. She was his older sister by a few minutes, but she was happy to fade into the background. It wasn't that they didn't know she was his sister—in fact, it was common knowledge in Yu Qing. She just didn't like everyone's attention on her, opposite of her outgoing brother. Jiale didn't want Mingyu to suffer in the spotlight, either. So he protected her as best as he could, and for three years it worked. Then came senior year, and Mingyu was thrown into all the tennis team drama. It started with her fine arts photography class.

"Okay, so first you want to adjust the aperture," the teacher said, demonstrating with her camera. Mingyu copied on her own camera, spinning the little knob. One of her classmates, Zhuo Zhi leaned back in his chair, yawning. He'd never seemed much interested in the class, and she wondered why he'd even taken it in the first place. The teacher said something about the shutter speed, and Mingyu quickly forgot about the strange boy. Class sped by, and before long school had ended. She met up with her best friend, Shen Xinyi. 

"Let's go to the tennis courts!" Xinyi suggested. Mingyu noticed that the strange boy, Zhuo Zhi was heading for the tennis courts.

"Do you want to see my brother?" Mingyu teased lightly. Xinyi shuddered.

"Oh no—that would be a nightmare. Wait, that sounded rude. I'm so sorry!" Xinyi covered her mouth.

"It's fine. I'm not sure who would want to see him anyway," Mingyu smiled. The two walked down to the tennis courts, surfing Instagram on their phones. 

"Isn't he dreamy?" Xinyi said, scrolling through a set of photos of a K-Pop idol.

"Who's that?" She took a closer look at her friend's screen.

"Kim Seokjin. From BTS," Xinyi replied, tapping on a close up shot of him.

Mingyu frowned. "Why do you listen to BTS? They don't make songs in Chinese."

"They made a version of one of their songs in Chinese," she said indignantly.

"One."

"Yes, one. But their other songs are really good, even though I don't understand it," Xinyi said, searching for one of their songs on YouTube.

"Aiya. We're here already," Mingyu touched her lightly as they reached the tennis courts. 

"Wait, listen to this." Xinyi tapped on a lyric video. She took her earbuds out and gave them to Mingyu. She listened for a bit, then turned to Xinyi.

"That's actually a really good song. I can't understand a word of it, but you're right, it's definitely good." 

Xinyi smirked. "Told you so. Now give me my earbuds back." Mingyu gave them back and turned her attention back to the tennis courts, where she could see her brother and his doubles partner, Chi Dayong, working on drills.

"Look, there's Jiale and Dachi!" she pointed out. 

"They look like they're taking a break. Let's go say hi!" Xinyi dragged her towards the courts, paying no mind to her friend's protests.

"Hi!" Xinyi said cheerfully to Jiale, who was in the middle of taking a sip of vitamin water.

"Oh hi! What are you doing here, Mingyu?" Jiale asked his sister, capping the bottle.

Mingyu shrugged. "Should we not be here?"

"No, it's fine, we're just taking a break," Dayong assured her, smiling.

"Dachi, Jiale, get back to work. Stop chatting with the girls and train," the captain, Mu Siyang ordered. 

"Sorry," Dayong said, taking Jiale by the arm as they headed back towards the net, where they were working on head-to-head volleys.