Chapter 2 - Meet

SOUNDTRACK: Crown (TXT)

"Okay, stop, the way Mr. Lee's eyes just bulged when he caught Huang Jing with the phone?" Xinyi giggled.

"Quite funny, but please stop getting sidetracked. We have homework remember?" Mingyu nudged Xinyi.

"Fine, fine," grumbled Xinyi, "workaholic is what you are, you know?"

Mingyu laughed. The two friends were situated on a grassy hill overlooking a shimmering lake. The outdoors helped clear her mind, and Xinyi didn't like the cramped school library. Best option? The lake.

"Did you finish the project for Mr. Lee, anyway?" she asked.

"Uh-huh," Xinyi said. "I did it last night. Help me check it over?" She handed the sheet of paper to Mingyu. As she was looking it over, a shadow fell across the paper.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Tang Mingyu and Shen Xinyi."

Mingyu stiffened. She knew that voice. Too well, in fact. "What do you want, Yichen?" He grinned, revealing startling white teeth.

"Can't I just walk by the lake? I had absolutely no idea one had to want something in order to visit a lake," Yichen sniffed.

"You always do something for a reason. And that reason is never good," Mingyu bit out, which was probably not wise, considering Wang Yichen's infamous temper. However, Yichen's face stretched into a fake smile that looked more like a donkey having a seizure.

"Tsk, tsk," he said, shaking his head in mock concern, "still the same insolent child as before."

"And you're still the same arrogant snake as before."

"Dear me. Remind me again why I wanted to date you?"

Xinyi eyes widened. "Let's go, Mingyu."

Mingyu nearly jumped. She'd almost forgotten Xinyi was there.

"Mingyu, let's go," Xinyi said more insistently. Mingyu relented and let her best friend drag her away from the grassy hill, finally stopping at a block or two away from the lake.

"Sit here," Xinyi pointed at a wooden bench, "and don't go anywhere." Mingyu did as she was told, waiting for a couple minutes before Xinyi returned with two cans of jasmine tea, one of which she handed to Mingyu.

"Thanks," she said, smiling at her friend. For a while the two of them just sat there, sipping their tea and thinking.

"We should start heading home now," Xinyi said abruptly. "It's getting dark." That was true. The sky was turning pink, heading towards orange.

"I'll see you tomorrow for the party my brother's hosting?" 

"No, I have my cousin's birthday to go to tomorrow. But I'm sure you'll manage the doctor yourself, no?" Xinyi smiled. "And Sunday the tennis team has a game, so not Sunday either."

"True enough. See you on Monday, then," Mingyu waved.

"See you on Monday," she agreed, walking back towards her home. 

Mingyu started home, noting how the clouds were starting to turn a rather ominous dark gray. She hadn't brought her umbrella, because the forecast predicted a warm, sunny day—which had been true enough in the morning—but the clouds overhead told a different story. She groaned as the skies suddenly opened up and fat droplets of rain started splashing down on her. She resolved to walk home as fast as possible, speed-walking as fast as her legs would allow. Lightning flashed, lighting up the sky, and Mingyu counted the seconds—ten seconds in between the lightning and thunder. She divided by five, which gave her two.