Oh, Yeah, Everything Is Great

"You okay, Y/N?" Alyssa asked as you tripped on someone's kit bag for the third time in the span of 10 minutes. "You're not a clumsy person, what's wrong?"

You turned your head to face the Keeper as you kept walking, wincing when your head collided into the corner of your locker. "Nothin'."

"Mhmm," Tierna scoffed as the team watched on from their respective seats. "Is everything okay?"

You attempted to squirt your water into your mouth, cursing and wiping your face with your shirt when it hit you in the eye. "Oh, yeah, everything is great."

Penelope's eyes narrowed. "Did it have something to do with that guy you were talking to?"

You shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not."

"You get scouted for another team?" Bianca questioned. "Maybe a team overseas?"

You hesitated. "Sorta."

"Enough questions," Emily interrupted, sending you a kind smile. "Let's just be happy that we didn't get fucked over."

"Yeah, what she said." You agreed.

"Real smooth, Y/L/N."

"Shut up!"

---------------

Your phone rang loudly, chasing you to sprint off the field as your team carried out shooting drills.

"'Ey, Spartacus," Tierna called. "What are you—"

"Shut the fuck up!" You yelped, fumbling to press the green button. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Y/N Y/L/N?"

"It is. Hi, Tony, how are you?"

"I'm good, thanks. I was just calling to see of you'd be interested in being part of the Australia Women's National Team 2020 Olympic roster."

You choked on your spit, stuttering out, "T-ahem. ThaNKs."

He chuckled. "I'll email you all the details. I look forward to seeing you play for the Matildas in two weeks."

You gingerly placed your phone down, pausing to glare at your teammates who had all stopped what they were doing in favor of watching you. "What?"

"Who was that?" Tierna asked expectantly, the rest of the team nodding their agreement.

Using two fingers, you reached into your pocket, pulling out an Uno card and flinging it towards the American before silently returning to the pitch.

"Why do you have this?" Tierna shook her head before flipping it over and reading the messy print scrawled onto it. "Plus 4: Take 4 more cards and follow the directions."

You tossed another stack in her direction, beginning to juggle a ball.

"Okay- ?" She questioned, turning them over one by one. "Shut- the- fuck- up— HEY!"

-----------------

"Lyss?" You jogged up to the Keeper who glanced in your direction. "Could you help me with something?"

She gave you a small smile. "Sure. With what?"

You looked around to make sure no one was listening before mumbling, "If I were to get an Olympic call-up, what would I pack?"

The Captain's smile grew impossibly bigger, giving you a proud pat on the back. "Let's head over to yours after practice, I'll help you."

--------------

"Thanks for coming with me, Lyss," you stated as you and your Skipper speedwalked through the busy airport. "You didn't have to."

"I wanted to," She shrugged. "This is a big opportunity for you. You could finally get the recognition you deserve."

You shook your head, trying to wipe your goofy smile of your face. "Enough sappy shit, I've got a plane to catch."

---------------

You shuffled through the revolving doors of the hotel that the Matildas would be staying at, a mask of stoicism draped across your hawkish features.

In reality, you were doing your damn best not to start screaming in excitement.

Having never been given a shot on the international stage, this was huge.

Oh yeah, and you were about to meet the Matildas. Almost forgot about that part.

"Ah, there you are," Tony's face broke out into a smile. "Your room key. You're with Alanna Kennedy. Go put your stuff down and then wait out in the hallway until I come get you. We'll introduce you to the girls then, they're just waiting for  me to start the meeting."

You nodded, taking the keycard and trudging towards the lift, yawning.

Stupid jetlag.

-------------

"C'mon now," Tony poked his head out the door, motioning you inside. "They're all buzzing to meet this new mystery Forward."

You blinked, sliding your phone into your pocket as you followed through man inside.

"G'day," you mumbled, voice deep from lack of use on the long flight. "Name's Y/N Y/L/N, Forward for the Chicago Red Stars."

Many of them waved enthusiastically as you squinted, trying your hardest not to fall asleep.

"Welcome!" Sam Kerr grinned, your new captain stepping up and shaking your hand to the point it felt like it was gonna fall off. "How was the flight?"

Your head snapped upwards. "It was- it was long, yeah. So long. Tiring."

You mentally facepalmed at your own idiocy.

Exhaustion made you even stupider than usual.

-----------------

"Hey," Alanna jogged up to you, giving you a friendly smile. "You're Y/N, right?"

"Yup," you yawned as you pried open the door to your shared hotel room with one hand. "And you're Alanna Kennedy."

"That I am," she agreed, following you inside. "I already took the bed by the door, I hope you don't mind."

You yawned again, shuffling towards the other bed. "It's okay, I can jump out the window first if there's a fire."

Your knees hit the edge of your bed as she laughed, causing you to pitch forwards and smack your face against the pillows.

Alanna giggled at your already snoring form, snapping a quick picture and sending it to the group chat that you would be added to later.

"Welcome to the Matildas, Y/N."

------------

If you know you know 😂

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading!