NEW FRIEND OR MORE

Did you stand up for others in any situation?

If yes, share the situation with us.

They came outside. Shreya holds that girls hand and take to library.

They entered the library.

SHREYA: [releasing her hand] So, girl, what happened? Why are you stopping me from complaining?

GIRL: Actu-all-y

SHREYA: Ok, first, tell me your name.

GIRL: My name is Shruthi.

SHREYA: Ok, Shruthi. Now, tell me what happened, and cool, I'm just your senior.

SHRUTHI: [nodded] Actually, if you tell the principal, then he will call to my house.

SHREYA: So, what will happen? Your parents should know, right? then they will support you.

SHRUTHI: No, they will not support me.

SHREYA: Why? [see in her eyes]

SHRUTHI: Because they are not my parents. [tears in eyes]

SHREYA: WHAT?

The librarian glared at us. Shreya just said sorry.

SHREYA: Where are your parents?

SHRUTHI: They died.

Silence for 5 minutes.

SHREYA: Where do you live? [shocked]

SHRUTHI: I live with my uncle and aunt.

SHREYA: Oh, so they will support you, right? [with hopeful eyes]

SHRUTHI: [she averted her eyes to the other side]

SHREYA: Please tell me [in a soft voice and holding her shoulder].

SHRUTHI: [she winced]

SHREYA: What happened?

She just nodded as if nothing had happened and started to go outside.

Shreya again held her wrist lightly.

SHREYA: Please share with me. I know I'm an outsider, but I may help you with something.

SHRUTHI: No, you are not an outsider; actually, you are the first person who stood up for me.

SHREYA: Then tell me.

SHRUTHI: I don't want to drag you into my life. You should stay like that.

SHREYA: If I say so, I want to come into your life and know about you. You also said I'm not an outsider; then tell me.

SHRUTHI: [sighs] My uncle and aunt won't care about me. They just stay in the house and don't do any work. I work part-time. I also do housework. They also abuse me physically.

SHREYA: What? Why didn't you complain to the police?

SHRUTHI: They have connections with all as my uncle is a politician. Even if I make a complaint, they don't care about it. So, if the principal complains about this incident, they will stop my studies, as they are already forcing me to stop my studies. [tears dropped from her eyes]

SHREYA: Principal Sir, will not tell about this incident; I can guarantee it, but you should not stay there.

SHRUTHI: Then where should I stay? If I stay anywhere, they will take me back somehow.

SHREYA: Just stay today in that house and tomorrow bring all your certificates and clothes in your school bag. For now, come with me and show your bruises; we should apply ointment.