Chapter 4

They spent seven hours training.

By evening, she could barely stomach dinner from the motion sickness and heavy vertigo.

Severus didn't hold back. And when Evie was twitching on the floor, almost blind from the pressure of magical power, he nearly called the training to stop. Hadn't it been for Evie's own stubbornness, they would've stopped half way through.

Part of her wished they had now.

But she hated feeling so helpless - so scared. She wanted to remember these people who were once dear to her soul, to stop feeling so terrified whenever someone new had to re-introduce themselves. Normal. That was the goal.

She couldn't help it. The fear. It was natural feeling this way, wasn't it? Fear of the unknown, fear of learning about the unknown.

It was a cauldron of conflict mixed together.

Tiskey gave her a small dose of sleeping draught mixed with lavender tea and small blocks of honeycomb to eat. Master Draco would eat them to help him sleep when Mistress Black taught him.

Evie understood why.

Slept like a baby, that night.

Woke up with a small string of drool slipping out of the corner of her mouth, her nightdress so misaligned, one of her breast fell out of its cup.

She specifically set the alarm early so that she could dress up and prepare for Draco's return, hoping to make a difference on their greet this time.

She scrubbed, shaved — the mudblood way, much to her disadvantage and drowned in oils, creams and exfoliants.

Tiskey laid out a thin dress that stopped right above the knee, corsetted and frilled. Lacy black, sexy, but still modest enough for the Malfoy name.

Tiskey brushed out her hair at the dressing table, taking extra precaution on the back where her scar slowly healed whilst Evie took attention to her makeup. Brand new and gifted from Narcissa, of course.

She had just enough time to straighten her necklace before the door opened.

Where once there was warmth, came an avalanche instead.

An immediate chaos of silence.

Behind her, his presence soared.

She could see the faint outline of him in the mirror from the corner of her eye.

Tiskey instantly shrieked and clicked out of existence.

His eyes were shot on her. Right on the centre of her neck. Two daggers pressed against her skin, knowing that should she turn, her head would sever.

But she twisted anyway. Slowly, carefully. Until her eyes met his. Grey, like platinum platters of rich snow.

Haunted but firm, Draco blinked. His face as expressionless and dead.

For a moment, Evie prepared to see black smoke hiss out of his shoes. Black tentacles to curl out of his back and for him to grow twice his size.

"Good morning," she said, barely a whisper. "How was Lithuania?"

Draco's face didn't move. Didn't twist in disgust. Not even a twitch of emotion.

Instead, the door creaked closed. He shrugged off his coat, throwing it at the nearby love seat opposite the bed.

Evie couldn't help her eyes wander.

Beneath his overcoat, his body moulded a black three piece suit. He took off the jacket, unfurled his matching grey tie and threw both aside. A silver albert chain, with a serpents head at the coin, clinked against the floor as he ripped off the vest. Tight and firm, black suspenders held down a clean, grey shirt.