Chelsea's story

Hi, I'm Chelsea Summers.

I'm a big chess nerd. A lot of people at school think it's a weird obsession, but I don't care what they think. Chess is a game of wits and I'm not going to let their thoughts affect my thoughts.

One day I met a boy who liked chess as much as I do. His name is William, and boy was he good. "Check mate!" "Wow, you're good. You're like a chess king." "I prefer chess master." We play chess every day. People still gave us weird looks. I didn't pay any mind to it, but William felt annoyed. "Don't let them get to you." "I'm just not very social." "Who cares about them? You have me. Come on, let's play chess." It was pretty much a routine of playing chess with William. Everyday and every time we would play play chess together.

One day I saw William outside the library being laughed at by some boy. When the boy left, I asked him who he was. "His name is Garrett. We used to be friends, but now he just makes fun of me." I couldn't believe it. How could he do such a thing?! "Don't worry about it. I'm here, and if he messes with you then he messes with me!" "Don't bother, how do you have this confidence?" "Because chess is like a battle of wits in life. When people try to mess with you is just like someone trying defeat your chess king." "I guess I found the right person to hangout with." We both laughed and continued our chess life routine. But all that changed when William told me that Garrett invented him to the park. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" "He wants to work things out." "I don't know, something doesn't feel right." "Look Chelsea, you can come if you want." "Okay, but only to keep an eye on things." We arrived at the park to see Garrett on the swings, but as we got closer we saw that he was with 6 other students. "He doesn't know?!" "What a fool!" I knew something was wrong! "I told you Will. Let's go." But as we were about to walk away, Will was attacked! "Hey! Leave him alone!" "Oh it's the chess nerd. Let's get her too." I dodged their attacks and punched them in the face. "No body messes with me!" Then pushed me out of the way and continued to beat up William. I tried to get them away from him but they were too strong. They ended up leaving once they got bored but Garrett was still there. "Did you really think we were friends?! Like I would ever be friends with someone like you!" I tackled him to the ground. "How could you do this to him?! And you ever messes with him again you'll have to deal with me!" He just shoved me away and walked away. I ran to William how was bleeding on the ground. "Will? Will can you hear me?!" I called an ambulance but it was too late. William was dead! My heart sank as my best friend was gone.

I didn't went to school for a long time. I was very depressed. My parents tried to make me feel better but there was nothing they can do. There was no one else like William Jwayed. My dad entered my room to check on me. "Chelsea you need to go to school." "But I can't Dad, it hurts too much without Will." "I know you miss your friend, but don't let it get you down. What happened to my confident girl?" Dad was right, I can't let this affect me. So the next day I went back to school. But it looks like I'm the new chess target. "There goes Chelsea the chess nerd." "Maybe we should give the same thing we gave William." "I can hear you! And do you think I'm just gonna let you treat me the same way you treated Will?!" Before they could answer, I walked away.

One day there was a chess tournament coming up and I immediately signed up. I practiced every single day and stayed focused on it. One the day of the tournament, I was betting my opponents one by one!  I was a champion! I defeated my last opponent but as I was about to get my prize, something strange was happening! The lights went out, and there was a two tone monochrome man! He kinda looked like Reverser from Miraculous. "Who are you?!" "I'm the Chess Master! I'm here to challenge your champion!" I knew he was talking about me. But I couldn't let him beat me. "It's on!" The room became a giant chessboard and the chess pieces were huge! "When I win, it's checkmate for you!" "How do you know that you're gonna win?!" "Shall we?" I moved my pieces around the board, but the Chess Master defended them one by one! Was he really that good?! I haven't seen anyone with skills that good. He almost seemed familiar. But I can't think about that now, I have to match to win! I keep competing against him but to my surprise, he defeated me! "Checkmate!" "I...I lost?" I was too shocked for words. "That's what life is everyone! It's a giant game of chess! And I'm the one who moves all the pieces!" He took out his sword and start stabbing everyone around the tournament area! I ran out as fast as I can. When I got home, I locked myself in my room. I couldn't let him get me! He was a psycho!

After the incident, I went back to school like nothing had happened. I couldn't get what happened out of my head. As I was leaving the building, some students grabbed me by the shoulder and pulled me into the parking lot! "Well well well, it's the chess nerd. Shall we beat her at her own game?" They punched me and kicked me until someone shouted at them. "Stay away from her!" It was the Chess Master! Oh no, he's gonna kill me! He slaughtered everyone who was hitting me. As he got closer to me, I thought I was done for but he reach out his had for me. "Are you okay?" He had a different attitude towards me. "Why did you spare me?" "I couldn't let history repeat itself." I didn't get what he means. "Chelsea, it's me." At that moment, I realized "William?" I couldn't believe my eyes. "I-I don't understand. You were-" "I know, so did I. But I was reborn into Chess Master. Ever since then, I've turned life into a chess game." "That explains the sword." "Yea, sorry about that. But listen Chelsea, I saved you today because you're the only person who cares for me." "But what about at the chess tournament?!" "I just wanted to play chess again like we used to." "You didn't had to kill anyone." "Never mind that. Chelsea, I never told you this but...I like you. You're the one person never judged me or made fun of me. Will you, be my girlfriend?" My heart filled with butterflies, it was like the pieces of my heart was putting back together. "Will, dose this mean will be together forever?" "Yes, and call me Chess Master." "As long as you call me your Queen."