- CHAPTER TEN

EDEN

BACK TO ME

BACK TO ME

"Look at what I found!" Eve ran onto the ship, holding what looked like a radio. She found it during one of their raids with Rocket and Groot. After a year of traveling with them, she had grown used to being a pirate. She learned the ways of lockpicking and stealing what she believed to be important. On this day, after taking some things from an abandoned spacecraft, she felt pure excitement at the outdated object. Rocket sat at his captain's chair, while Groot followed behind Eve.

She places the radio down on her control chair, jumping up and down on her toes.

Rocket swiveled around to see the useless junk. Completely not impressed.

"I said get things we need! Like food or water. Instead, you bring a box!" Rocket scolds, waving his arm at her ridiculous excitement. Eve shakes her head at his disapproval, clearly unbothered by his own dismissiveness. What she found seemed so interesting to her. She couldn't keep her hands off of it.

"No! This thing is magnificent!" Eve says with a bright smile, kneeling beside it, rubbing the speakers. "It must be like—thousands of years old!"

"I am Groot!" Groot spoke with interest, just as foolish about the technology as Eve.

"Exactly, Groot! It's part of ancient history!"

"It's a radio! It's—technology from Terra, you two clunk heads," Rocket corrects Eve, rubbing his forehead. Why he had agreed to allow her to follow him across the galaxy, Rocket wasn't too sure. He already had Groot. Now, he had to deal with Eve.

"Human technology?!" Eve snapped her head towards Rocket, her eyes big with shock. She attempts to say radio, gripping the round sides with excitement. Looking back, and with her tongue between her teeth, Eve pushes one button with her finger. Within seconds, their ship is blasted with loud music—causing Eve to recoil from the racket.

"Turn that awful sound off!" Rocket shouts of the 90s music, covering his delicate ears.

Eve frantically pushed every button that she could. At one point, her palm slaps the front. She adjusted the circular objects and finally, the volume was turned down. Eve breathed out, relieved that she had fixed it. The music hums gently, giving the area something new. She had never heard something like it. Music wasn't an uncommon thing with every species and race but this kind of music appeared different. Delightful. Looking over to see Groot dancing, Eve bobs her head. Happy to see she wasn't the only one who enjoyed the playful rhythm.