Chapter Four

"Gale reminds you of a dog?" Astarion's laughter rings out, filling the air with mirth. I can't help but groan inwardly, an impulse urging me to whack Astarion on the head for his incessant questioning. Since I have awakened, both Gale and Astarion have been on a relentless quest to unearth the details of my life. Prior to this question, I had foolishly compared Gale's vibrant, dog-like energy to Barkspawn.

"You had a dog?" Gale interrupts, apparently tuning out Astarion's laughter.

"I have a dog. A Mabari hound, to be precise," I reply, my voice filled with affection, "I love him more than anything in the world." I secretly hope that he is here, safe and sound, but the worry nags at me.

"Does he have a name?" Gale inquires as we approach a ridge.

"Yes, of course, he has a name," I hesitate. Should I reveal his name? It's a silly pun, and I really don't feel like explaining it.

"Woofington," I finally divulge, the name sounding even sillier than Barkspawn. Damn, internal monologue.

"Woofington?" Gale questions.

"Yes," I defend my lie, though the group falls silent. When I turn to look at Astarion and Gale, they are both struggling to hold back their laughter.

"Immature assholes," I mutter. As we continue forward, I can hear loud voices in the distance. There are two sets of voices, one further to the right and a closer one to the left. I survey my options: should I head towards the cacophony of what sounds like an angry mob, or follow the quieter sounds? I choose the left, hoping to find more potential allies.

I soon begin to regret my decision as the signs of a recent conflict become evident. Broken traps litter the path, with snapped ropes and splintered wood strewn about. As the shouting grows nearer, I spot the source: two individuals with imposing horns standing beneath a suspended wooden cage. Inside the cage, I can see Lae'zel, fiercely defiant.

The pair below are engaged in a heated conversation, but their words are hard to discern until I get closer.

"Hello!" I call out, waving my arms, "What is going on?"

The couple jumps, and Lae'zel quiets. I look up at her, and my mind throbs.

"Get rid of them," I hear her voice say, but her lips don't move. Just like the man I saw on the ship. Another of the tadpoles' quirks.

"This creature is dangerous. You should really stay away," the woman warns as I approach. I pass a discarded bow, preparing my staff.

"Then go," I approach the suspended cage, "I'll deal with it." The two individuals assess my party and then glance at Lae'zel before deciding that we can handle the situation.

"She's right. Let's go. We need to check out that explosion," the man declares, and they both hurry away. Another conflict resolved without bloodshed. I look up at Lae'zel and give her a cheerful wave.

She glares at me, "Enough with the gawking. Get me down."

"No, please?" I say, smirking. I can hear Astarion snickering, and Shadowheart offers a rare smile.

"Never," Lae'zel hisses.

"Well then, I suppose you could just stay up there," I reply, walking away. She says nothing, and I turn back around. She is still standing with her arms crossed, glaring at me.

"Fine," I raise my bow and arrow. Taking aim at the rope supporting the cage, I release the arrow, splitting the rope in two. Lae'zel crouches as the cage crashes to the ground, shattering the wood as it makes contact. When the debris clears, Lae'zel stands in the midst of it. She approaches me, stopping a few feet away.