Day 18 - Voice

Series: Rainbow Quest

--- Green Village Leader P.O.V. ---

I wake up in a cold sweat.  As I jolt into a sitting position, I feel my heart pounding in my chest.  I can't remember the nightmare, but the dread lingers in my mind.

As I glance around the room, I can see the shadows cast by the moon outside.  My gaze locks on the trapdoor, and something tugs me toward it.

Following the instinct, I grab my black shawl from the bedside table and wrap it securely over my shoulders.  Some of the chill disappears from the night.  Careful not to be too loud, I crouch down and open the trapdoor, letting the soft light illuminate the staircase.  Making sure to close the entrance behind me, I creep down the stairs.

"Hello?"  I murmur softly, before I even see him.  The cave glimmers softly in the light of the lanterns.  I can feel the power in this place.  It calms me.  The Unnamed has protected our village for longer than any leader can remember.

The cave whispers around me as I stare up at the ruby-colored armor.  My hands creeps up to the matching brooch over my chest.  The panic in my mind calms a little.  It was silly for me to worry over a simple nightmare.

"Green Village Leader."  The whispers acknowledge.

"Unnamed."  I duck my head in respect.  "I'm sorry for disturbing you.  I felt... trouble in the air."

"Trouble is on the horizon."  He agrees.  "But it will be alright.  The village will remain strong."  My eyes widen, and I look up nervously.  Is there really trouble coming to the village?

"What must I do, to protect my people?"  I ask softly.

"There are heroes coming.  You must welcome them, and shelter them.  They will bring trouble with them, but they will shelter you from it as well."  I nod solemnly.

"I will tell Yellow and Violet."  I assure him.  "Thank you, Unnamed."

I turn up to the staircase, but pause.  I glance back briefly.

"Unnamed?  Who do you mean?  Which heroes will come to our village?  How will we know them?"  A soft laugh echoes in my ears.  Of course, he will not answer.

It doesn't matter.  The Unnamed has never led us wrong before.  I slowly ascend once more.  I will tell Yellow and Violet in the morning.

We are so lucky to have the Unnamed on our side.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 381