Day 26 - Animal

Series: Rainbow Quest

--- Time Steve P.O.V. ---

I glanced around warily as we walked, keeping an eye out for any more strange people.

"Will you relax, Time?  I'm sure we could fight off any bad guys!"  my brother said confidently, nudging me playfully.  I didn't share his confidence.

"I don't know, Elemental."  I replied more quietly.  "They might be more powerful than us.  I mean, you saw that dark-hooded guy.  His aura... it was evil."  I shuddered.

"Okay, but the man in the chicken suit?"  Elemental asks skeptically.  "You think he's powerful?"

"He might be!"  I retorted, a little offended that he wasn't taking me seriously.  I loved my brother, but he could be pretty reckless sometimes.  At least, from what I had noticed so far.

"You worry too much."  he laughed, before his head shot up, looking into the distance.  Before I could question him, he ran off, leaving me startled.  It took me a moment to realize he had literally just left me.

"Wait!  Elemental!"  I called, starting to sprint after him.

I found him kneeling beside a ditch in the ground, where water had gathered over seasons of rainfall.  I quickly moved to pull him back.  If he fell in there, it would be difficult to get him out.  The ground rose a few feet above the water level, trapping anything that fell in.

To my surprise, I realized that Elemental was being careful.  His arms reached into the water, and I noticed something white and furry squirming in his hands as he lifted it up.

"Sorry, Time."  he laughed at my expression.  "But my powers told me this little guy fell into the water."  he turned around, and I noticed a little wolf in his arms.  I jumped a bit.

"Elemental, that's a wild animal."  I warned.  "He might bite you."  Elemental looked offended at my warning.

"Excuse me!?"  he said mockingly.  "This little buddy isn't going to hurt me."  He bent his head down so the little creature could lick his face.  "No, he isn't."  I could tell by the babying tone that my brother was already attached.

The wolf wriggled out of his arms and proceeded to shake his fur dry, showering Elemental with water.

"Hey!"  he complained, smiling as the white ball of fluff barked happily.  "Aw, Time!"  Elemental looked up at me with big golden eyes.  "Can we keep him?  Please?"

"But his parents-"  I looked around, seeing no other wolves.  He have spawned without any... kind of like us.  "Fine.  Yes.  We can keep him."  Elemental whooped, scooping the puppy into his arms, where it attempted to lick every part of his face, tail wagging furiously.  "But you're taking care of him."

"I will!"  Elemental agreed instantly, petting his new dog.  "I'm gonna call him Leaf!  He's so cute!  He's the best dog ever!"  I laughed at Leaf and Elemental's twin expressions of excitement.

I wouldn't let anything bad happen to either of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 470