Chapter 3

Vernessa sat in the living room waiting for the phone to ring. Her grandfather called her telling her he was about to leave the store and he would call her when he got home. Its been an hour and she hasn't talked to him. The front door opened and she seen Daniel come in.

"Hey sweetheart." He smiled as he hung his coat.

"Hey Daddy." She smiled.

He came over and kissed her cheek and lips. He sat in the love seat next to the couch and examined her. She had her hair pulled back into a clamp with a few pieces framing her face, a pearl pink silk nightgown that stopped at her ankles and a pair of heels. He also noticed something was off about her demeanor.

"Baby what's wrong?" He asked.

"I think something has happened to poppy. He called from the store saying he was about to head home and he was gonna call me when he got home, but he haven't called yet." She sighed as she looked at the phone that has yet to ring.

"Baby, calm down. I'm sure he is gonna call." He told her.

"But its been 2 hours, of course I'm gonna worry." She whined.

The phone rung and grabbed it quickly. Daniel gave her a crazy look as he seen her move so fast.

"He- Hello? Hello? Poppy is this you? Why'd it take you 2 hours to call? Where you been?" She asked.

"..."

"Wait what? Is he okay? Where is he?" She asked as her face dropped.

"..."

"Ok." She hung up.

She stared off into space and tried to comprehend what she heard.

"We have to get to the hospital." She told him.

She put on her long brown fur coat and they drove to the hospital. When they arrived they were told a doctor was gonna come to talk to them and had to wait in the waiting room. She prayed silently as she constantly wiped her tears. Her aunts came and they all sat in silence.

"Family of Edward Coleman?" The doctor asked.

They stood up quickly and walked over to him. She prayed even harder for good news.

"I'm sorry, there was nothing we could do to bring him back. But he was dead upon arrival. He suffered 5 gunshots to the heart." He said.

Vernessa held onto Daniel and screamed as she cried. Daniel rubbed her back as he cried too. Her cries was filled with so much pain and agony. Cheryl and Coretta held Connie as her knees went weak. She was a mess. The doctor's heart broke as he watched them cry.

"I am so sorry. Is it okay for me to keep y'all in my prayers?" He asked.

"Yes. We will appreciate that." Daniel said as Vernessa continued to cry.

"You all have my deepest condolences." He said as he fought back tears of his own.

The doctor hadn't been a emergency surgeon doctor all of 6 months and this was the first patient he had to pass away. He never thought it would be this hard to tell someone their loved one had passed away. The way Vernessa and her aunts cried and screamed hurt him so bad. He couldn't help but think how lucky they were to have each other. He didn't try to console her or tell her everything would be okay. Instead he just held her and sometimes thats the best. He walked away and sat on a bench thinking.

In the hospital room...

"Daddy, I- I need a few minutes alone please." She told him as she looked at her Poppy.