CHAPTER 3: THE CRUEL CONSUME THE JUST

Felix awoke with a startle. He gasped for air as if he had just broken the surface of a lake. His mind was spinning and he didn't know where he was. He attempted to sit up but was held back. Confused he looked to his wrists, only to see that he was tied to the table. His body hurt and his head pounded.

His brain felt scrambled and he couldn't discern where he was or remember what had just happened. He laid there, breathing quick and gasping as he stared up into the ceiling. The world was swimming in front of his eyes but soon the very familiar artwork in the ceiling began to take shape. Painted in silver on the marble ceiling was the story of the fallen star.

He was in his father's study.

As he willed himself to lift his head and look around, his heart dropped. Everything was turned over and rearranged. A fire was crackling from the fireplace, casting a warm light across the room. The table he was tied to had been carried into the room. His father's desk had been tipped over and papers laid strewn all over the floor. Outside the large window, the world was dark and it seemed like the clouds had rolled in, obscuring all the stars.

Felix turned his attention back to the room. Right now he was alone.

He tugged at his wrist cuffs again, but they wouldn't budge. Panic was creeping up on him and he tried his best to not let panic take over. He kept breathing; in and out; in and out. Why was he here? Why was he tied to the table? What was happening and where were everyone?

Before he could call out for help, the door to the study opened. Felix lifted his head, eyes wide and dread sinking in his gut as Dongyul walked inside.

"You," Felix breathed, his stomach twisting when Dongyul grinned. Behind him was the woman, his personal guard. She looked just as pleased as Dongyul as she looked at Felix. Felix's eyes flickered between the two of them as he tried to process everything. At the sight of Dongyul, there was a flare of pain in Felix's chest, right where Dongyul had struck him. "Why?"

"You see, little prince," the woman said, stepping closer to the table. "You have something me and Dongyul are in desperate need of. We would have sent someone for it but honestly, getting into the castle and getting close enough to get you alone would have been very difficult. Luckily for us, your father was looking for a suitor for you."

"Prince Felix," Dongyul began, taunting tone and smug grin on his face. "This is Eunkyung. I made a deal with her and for that deal to be fulfilled, I'm afraid there are some sacrifices needed on your part."

"What does that even mean?" Felix asked, struggling against the cuffs again. Tears were welling up and blurring his vision. He paused, his breathing heavy as he stared at Dongyul. "What do I have that you so desperately need?" His voice was wavering and he could feel his chest tightening. "Please, I-I'll help you get it. Whatever it is."

"I'm afraid it's not that simple," Eunkyung said as she reached the table.

She studied Felix's face for a moment, reaching out her hand to brush her fingers over Felix's ear. Her nails were sharp, looking more like sharp claws than nails and the skin around the finger tips had turned a bright white. When she pulled her hand back, Felix could see the stardust on her fingers. She rubbed it in her hands, seemingly engrossed by it.

"W-what do you need?" Felix stuttered, afraid of what the answer would be.

Eunkyung clicked her tongue and leaned down to press her ear against Felix's chest. Felix's eyes widened when the realization settled in.

"I'm afraid I need your heart, love," she said, tapping on Felix's chest. Felix's breath hitched at her words and he just stared at her, unable to form a sentence. His voice was caught in his throat and he struggled to even breathe.