CHAPTER 14: GOLD

The light faded and Felix stared down at Chan.

Chan stared back. Still very much alive.

Chan's face was illuminated by bright golden light. His lips moved, but no sound came. As if he couldn't find the right words. The dagger laid shattered on the marble floor beside him as it had impacted the chain. The chain hadn't broken, but it had cracked.

"Felix..." Chan breathed.

Felix exhaled, his breath shuddering. He reached out to brush his fingers over Chan's cheek. As he did, he left a trail of golden stardust on Chan's skin. He blinked and turned his hand over to look at his palm. What had previously been silver was now gold.

"What..?" he began, but the moment was broken by a harsh tug to the side.

He was pulled to the side, off Chan and he hit the hard floor with a thud. When he sat up, letting out a whimper in pain, he could see the green, almost spectral chain that was connected to his chest and tied him to Eunkyung.

"What have you done ?" Eunkyung snarled, tugging at the chain again and Felix cried out in pain. Every tug sent a shock of searing pain through his body. "You've ruined everything!"

Seungmin stared at him, eyes wide and jaw slack. Felix had never seen him genuinely surprised.

Dongyul moved in the corner of Felix's eyes, seeming to give some orders to the soldiers around them.

"You've ruined everything!" Eunkyung shrieked again, tugging at the chain. "I'll kill you, little prince. I'll kill you!"

"I'm not taking your orders anymore," Felix said, his voice firm and he straightened his back. "I've had enough of this." He grabbed the chain, crying out in pain as it scorched his hand. He pulled it back, looking at the burned skin.

"You're not getting away from me," Eunkyung snarled, her voice getting louder. "No one ever gets away from me. I always get what I want!"

"No!" Felix yelled back. He refused to let her dictate what he did. "You don't have any power over me!"

He grabbed the chain again. Despite the spectral appearance, it felt like metal under his touch. Hot metal as it seared away at his skin. With gritted teeth, he endured the pain and held on. The green light of the chain flared up at the same time as Felix's own golden light brightened.

Tears were gathering in his eyes and he cried out in pain.

It hurt. It hurt so much. But he refused to let go.

"I refuse to let you dictate my actions!" Felix yelled, yanking at the chain.

It sounded like glass shattering as the chain broke, the translucent pieces falling to the broken ground with loud clanks followed by Eunkyung's shriek in anger.

Felix's breathing was heavy as he looked at the marbled floor. The chain had burned his hands. They trembled violently as Felix looked at them. The skin was raw, red and peeled back, but there was a faint golden glow coming from within the wound. From within Felix himself.

"LOOK AT ME!" Eunkyung yelled.

Felix didn't want to. His body didn't tense up like it usually did. It didn't listen to her commands anymore.

"How dare you?" Eunkyung sneered, grimacing as Felix looked up at her. Her face was twisted, her hair tousled and the look in her eyes was wild. "I will kill everyone you love. I will ruin your life, little prince. I'll save you for last," she spat.

"I won't let you do that," Felix said, his voice trembling as he took a step towards her.

"I'd stop right there if I were you," Dongyul said, words causing Felix to freeze in place and Felix turned to his ex-fiancé, eyes widening as Dongyul held a struggling Jeongin against his chest, the blade of a knife pressed against Jeongin's throat. "I would hate to have the blood of an innocent servant boy on my hands, but I will do what's necessary."