Burning the Khandava Forest

The Yadus bestowed vast amounts of wealth on Arjuna, and he left Dwaraka accompanied by a long train of chariots and elephants as well as hundreds of thousands of cows decorated with silk and gold. Subhadra rode with him on a fine golden chariot drawn by tall white steeds. They soon arrived at Indraprastha and Arjuna went straight to Yudhisthira. He clasped his feet and then worshipped him according to the Vedic injunctions. Arjuna then worshipped Dhaumya and the other ysis in the royal court. When the ceremonies were complete his other brothers embraced him with tears in their eyes and asked him to relate to them all his adventures.

After spending time with his brothers, Arjuna went to see Draupadi. As he entered her chamber, she turned away from him and said, "O Arjuna, what brings you here at this time? You should go and be with your new bride. That daughter of the Satvata race must be missing you now." Draupadi was annoyed. Arjuna was her favorite among the Pandavas and she feared he might come to prefer Subhadra. The Pandava repeatedly begged her forgiveness and assured her that his love for her was in no way diminished. Draupadi continued to sulk. "A second tie always relaxes the first one, no matter how strong it may have been."

Arjuna tried to console the beautiful Draupadi, but she remained silent, always looking away from him. Seeing that he could not win her over, he left her chamber and went to Subhadra. He asked her to dress herself as a cowherd girl. He wanted to remind Draupadi that Subhadra was the sister of Krsna, Draupadi's beloved Lord. Krsna had begun His life as a cowherd boy in a small village. By having Subhadra appear as a cowherd girl Arjuna hoped that Draupadi's natural affection for Krsna would be awakened and directed toward His sister. The Yadu princess was brought into Draupadi's chamber attired in simple red silk. The servant girls who showed her in said, "This maiden has asked if she could become your servant." Subhadra immediately bowed before Draupadi and said, "I am here to do your bidding." Draupadi had never seen Subhadra  and did not realize who she was, but seeing her humble demeanor and being reminded of her Lord by Subhadra's rustic dress, Draupadi's heart melted. She raised her hands and blessed her, saying, "May you become the wife of a hero and the mother of a hero. May you be without a rival."

Subhadra replied, "May it be so." She then introduced herself. "I am Subhadra, Krsna's sister." Draupadi smiled and embraced her co-wife. Her jealousy and anger were dissipated by Subhadra's gentleness. She asked Subhadra to tell her everything about Dwaraka and Krsna. They spoke together for hours. Then Draupadi took Subhadra by the hand and led her to meet Kunti. The two Pandava queens soon became close friends and would spend much time together, discussing the activities of Krsna and His associates.
A few days after Arjuna's return, Krsna and Balarama came to Indraprastha. Accompanied by His sons and ministers and riding at the head of a great army, Krsna entered the Pandavas' city where He was greeted at the gates by Nakula and Sahadeva. As they proceeded in state down the main highway, thousands of citizens stood along the roadside. They cheered and worshipped Krsna and His elder brother as they moved slowly toward Yudhisthira's palace. The Yadus gazed around them at the city. The roads were immaculately swept and sprinkled with perfumed water. Fences draped with bright garlands ran down the sides of the wide avenues. On the tops of tall white mansions flew countless flags and standards. The sweet scent of burning aloes filled the air and the sound of musical instruments could be heard.

Krsna and Balarama entered the Pandavas' palace and went before Yudhisthira and his brothers. Yudhisthira worshipped Balarama with all due ceremony and embraced Krsna with affection. Krsna offered His respects and worship to Yudhisthira and Bhima, then took His seat in the assembly hall. Many important personalities from Dwaraka also took their places in the hall, including Akrüra, Uddhava, Satyaki, Krtavarma, Sarana and Krsna's sons Pradyumna, Samba and Aniruddha.

Krsna then gave Arjuna all the bridal gifts for Subhadra that her relatives in Dwaraka had sent. He gave heaps of gold bricks and precious gems to Yudhisthira. Krsna also presented the king with one thousand chariots adorned with rows of golden bells, each of them yoked to four steeds driven by well-trained charioteers, ten thousand milk-bearing cows, one thousand moonlike white horses with golden harnesses, and a thousand white mules with black manes, which could run at the speed of the wind. As well as this,  Balarama gave Arjuna as a wedding gift one thousand elephants, each resembling a hill and decked with golden ornaments and bells. Innumerable other items were offered to the Pandavas, being brought before them by Krsna's servants. Placed outside the hall, the wealth given by the Yadavas looked like a sea stretching in all directions.