Ch29: Consequences

Following the military parade, the King and Queen spent another few days touring my lands before announcing his intention to convert this simple trip to my lands into a Royal Progress of the realm. Now, as we're gathered to see them off, he comes over to me.

Daigo: Raelynn, we still have much to discuss but I'll let them rest for now.

Me: Sounds like it doesn't need to-

Fleur elbows me in the side before wishing the King a pleasant and safe journey to his next destination. Daigo thanks her with a smile before winking my way as he turns to depart. As his retinue passes through the castle gates, Fleur turns to me.

Fleur: Why can't you respect the King?

Me: Why should I?

Fleur: How about because he's the king?

I laugh, even as she sighs in frustration but when I go to pull her closer to apologise, she pushes away my hand and adopts a much more serious tone.

Fleur: We need to talk.

Me: If it's about Daigo-

Fleur: It has to do with our upcoming wedding.

Me: Oh? Here?

I gesture to the countless servants busying themselves with work around us and she nods before taking me by the hand and leading me through the grounds until we come to a discreet part of the gardens. 

Fleur: I think we should call it off.

Me: The wedding?

Fleur: Yes.

Me: Why?

There's a hint of worry in my voice but she doesn't seem to notice as she answers my question without hesitation.

Fleur: You're endangering yourself unnecessarily and I don't want to see you get hurt because of my problems. Besides, I know this only started as a joke.

Me: I-

Fleur: Don't bother trying to deny it. The others have already stated as much. 

Per her request, I remain silent as she goes on and on about the many problems she has with us getting married. However, not once do I hear her say she doesn't like me or that she wouldn't want to get married to me because she's interested in another. Instead, all her reasons have to do with what others think and what they'd likely do to us.

Once she finishes her monologue, I open my mouth to speak but she presses a finger to my lips.

Fleur: We have to stop seeing each other.

Me: N-

Fleur: I...I know you won't allow me to if I ask which is why I'm not asking for permission but rather telling you what I'm going to do. my family has already sent a carriage for me so you don't have to worry about transportation or anything like that.

Having had enough, I grab her hand, moving it away from my mouth.

Me: Fleur, I don't care what others think. I've told you this before, I want to-

I step closer, trying to get my point across but my words are sharply cut with a slap across the cheek. It's only then that I notice how hard I'd been gripping her shoulders but before I can apologise, she runs off, tears filling her eyes.

Falling to my knees, I can only watch through my own tears as she vanishes from view.

...

...