Soptomi

The kirtaniya were singing with the utmost devotion as the tunes filled the sky with a blissfulness. The entire Sen family along with Subho and Abhik were off to the ghat for the kola bou snan. 

(Wonderful song, wonderful movie)

Oindrila was looking ethereal wearing a simple lal tater saree (red cotton saree) and her hair open. Abhik, who could barely keep his eyes open, could not keep them away from her now. (A/N- song reference, I know)

If you are still wondering what happened with Subho yesterday, let me clear your doubts. Subho's full name was in fact Subhojeet Sengupta. 6 years ago, in her last year of college, Mishti had gone for a research trip to Mumbai. It took a lot for her to convince her family but she managed at the end, considering teachers were accompanying them as well. There, in the streets of Mumbai was a young man harmonizing with his guitar. It was a little difficult to see how he looked as he had a black mask on. But Mishti had already fallen in love........with his voice. She went to the same place to hear him sing the one month she was on the trip. On the last day, she had approached him for even he had noticed her constant presence everyday. They even went on a coffee date but he never opened his mask for once.

Coming back to the current ritual going on, everyone's hearts filled with content seeing the ritual of nabapatrika snan. To many who are not familiar with a culture, it may seem weird to bathe and worship a banana tree but to the people who wait for this season all year long, the banana tree symbolises all nine forms of Ma Durga. The aura of all is carried in one. 

Oindrila could barely move her eyes from the serene scene. The scene she is not unacquainted with, yet a scene she can never get tired of. That was the magic of this festival. The mixed emotions one feels through those five days as SHE come and goes, are unexplainable. The hard work every single person puts in through the year just so they can live their lives to the fullest in that time is magnificent.

Lost in her thoughts she absent mindedly followed everyone back home.

After reaching the house, the usual puja began, this time with Ganesh's wife. Oindrila was busy in the kitchen, preparing the day's bhog. She found cooking to be a relaxing activity which is why she took up the mammoth task of preparing kichuri and labra for a few hundred people. Of course she wasn't alone, two other servants were helping her with everything.

"DIDI!", a voice came.

Oindrila did not even have to look around to recognize the oh-so-familiar voice. It was Medha Moitro, her masi's (mother's sister) daughter. After Subha, she was probably the closest to Medha because of the small age gap of 2 years they shared.

"Tui kokhon eli.", Mishti smiled while mixing the rice and dal together.

(When did you come?)

"Just now. If you are wondering, ma baba were not able to come so it's just me", came the reply.

It would be a lie to not say that Medha was the most beautiful girl Mishti had ever seen. Her clear, milk white skin had the softest glow. She had a high bridged nose, sharp jaw lines and plump heart shaped lips. When Mishti was younger, she used to envy the number of proposals Medha used to get but now it does not affect her so much.

"By the way, I didn't see Abhik da anywhere. Also, there was some unknown guy creepily standing at the door of the kitchen. Told him to enter if he wanted, just shook his head.", Medha said, taking a spoon to taste the tomato chutney which was already made.