Doshomi

With the night of Nobomi passing, at the dawn of morning comes the day of Doshomi. The day of mixed feelings and emotions, the day of tears and smiles. The day where Ma Durga goes back to her husband's home, leaving us awaiting her arrival an entire year later.

The scene at the Sen house looked divine. Red and white everywhere. All married women were taking part in the ritual of Sindur Khela, they smear vermillion on each other and pray for the long life of their significant other. They also applied sindur on the Goddesses feet and forehead, offering her sweets and betel leaves before her farewell. 

Subho took a bit of the sindur and smeared it on the cheeks of Oindrila. She in return took some and did a small tilak on his head.

"You look sad.", he said.

"How can a daughter be happy seeing her mother go away?", she asked him.

"Everything has to come to an end one day or the other. If it doesn't we start to take it for granted.", he assured her.

She gave a little smile. His intellectual words always had a way with her thoughts. They were more similar than you'd think. And if you ever focused on your physics class, you would know that like poles tend to repel.

"Mishti", he called her in a serious tone. 

She signaled him to continue while preparing things for bishorjon (the act of immersing the Goddess in the holy river Ganga) 

"You said yes because you wanted to right? I hope it is not out of some kind of pressure or anything.", he was careful with his words.

She laughed at his nervousness, messed up his hair and joked,

"It was the only way to get you to stop hitting on me wasn't it".

He gave a sigh of relief and grinned back. What he didn't notice was her immediate change of expression as she turned her back on him. 

Mishti suddenly felt a tap on her shoulder and she looked about to see Abhik standing.......with a ginormous suitcase. She sharply took a breath in, the image in front of her not quite sinking in.

"Vacation e jachchis?", her chotoma asked him.

(Going for a vacation.)

He quickly touched her feet and replied,

"Vacation e noe aunty, kaj korte."

(Not a vacation aunty, for a job.)

"Mane?", her mother asked.

(What do you mean?)

"Yesterday at the cafe I was performing in, there was an English music producer. He offered me a job if I was willing to go to London with him as he was returning back today. I did not find anything holding me back so I agreed.", he said the last sentence looking straight at Oindrila. 

"Very good, son. I am proud of you", her father patted his back happily. 

"That is great news!", Medha exclaimed, feeding him a sweetmeat. 

Subho gave him a friendly side hug, despite their differences and asked him,

"Surely you will come back for your best friend's wedding?"

"I am not sure. It will just be the beginning of my career, I don't know if I can afford a leave.", Abhik answered.

"Leave it, Subho. He's just running away from his responsibilities as the bride's best mate. After all he is great at running away.", Mishti mocked him. Taking it as a joke, everyone around them shared a good laugh.