Appendix A: Pronunciation Guide

A guide to pronouncing Šnagan letters.

⟨ A ⟩ represents the sound denoted, in the English language, by the letter ⟨a⟩ in "hat". In the Mandarin language, it is the sound denoted by the letter <ā> in ān.

Ā (A with macron) has the sound of the letter ⟨a⟩ in "ale."

Bhas the sound of the letter ⟨b⟩ in "boy."

⟨ Ç ⟩ (C with cedilla) represents the sound denoted, in the Slovenian language, by the letter ⟨c⟩ in "cvet". In the Hungarian language, it is the sound denoted by the letter ⟨c⟩ in "cica".

⟨ Č ⟩ (C with caron) represents the sound denoted, in the English language, by the letters ⟨ch⟩ in "chip". In the Esperanto language, it is the sound denoted by the letter ⟨ĉ⟩ in "ĉar".

⟨ Ꞓ  (C with bar) has the sound of the letter ⟨k⟩ in "kiss."

D has the sound of the letter ⟨d⟩ in "dash."

⟨ E ⟩ has the sound of the letter ⟨a⟩ in "Tina."

⟨ J ⟩ represents the sound denoted, in the English language, by the letter ⟨y⟩ in "you." In the Esperanto language, it is the sound denoted by the letter ⟨j⟩ in "jaro." And in the Mandarin language, it is the sound denoted by the letter ⟨y⟩ in "yā."

⟨ O ⟩ represents the sound denoted, in the French language, by the letters ⟨eau⟩ in "réseau". In the Hungarian language, it is the sound denoted by the letter ⟨ó⟩ in "kór". And, in the Slovenian language, it is the sound denoted by the letter ⟨o⟩ in "moj".

⟨ Š ⟩ (S with caron) represents the sound denoted by the letters ⟨sh⟩ in "sheep."

(B with flourish) represents the sound denoted, in the Mapos Buang language, by the letter ⟨v⟩ in "venġévsën". The closest sound in the English language would be the letter ⟨v⟩ in "very", if spoken with a Chicano dialect.

⟨ Ž ⟩ (Z with caron) represents the sound denoted, in the English language, by the letters ⟨si⟩ in "vision." In the Czech language, it is the sound denoted by ⟨ž⟩ in "muži."