Chapter 3: Confronting the Storm

For a while, things seemed to return to a semblance of normalcy. But tensions simmered, and one day, but a storm was brewing and they came to a head in the cottage. Nicte's jealousy and anger over Tally and Alder's renewed closeness reached a breaking point. Nicte's jealousy and anger over Tally's closeness with Alder erupted into a heated confrontation. Hurtful words were exchanged, and Tally felt devastated. Alder sensed Tally's sadness through their bond and intervened. She confronted Nicte, and their confrontation escalated into a physical fight. Alder, older and empowered by the mycelium, overpowered Nicte. She lashed out at Nicte, berating her for her ingratitude toward Tally's sacrifices.

As the fight drew a crowd, Alder revealed her deep affection for Tally, referring to her as her "beloved songmate." Tally was shocked and dumbfounded. She stopped the fight, and Alder dragged a beaten Nicte to Tally's feet, making her apologize. Alder, realizing her mistake, retreated to the woods to cool off. Tally followed, asking for an explanation. Alder admitted she had felt Tally's distress through the bond, and when she discovered the cause, she lost control. She revealed that a songmate was a soulmate destined for a specific witch. Alder apologized for her actions, and Tally forgave her. They talked about their relationship and their desire to be together. Tally, in turn, approached Nicte and understood that her hurtful words had stemmed from jealousy. Nicte decided to clear her head and left for a while.