|14|

Billie and I don't talk to each other for about a week after that, hardly acknowledging each other and she stops coming to my practices.

The week leading to thanksgiving break arrives with a flurry of tests and project deadlines. Rain lashes down, darkening the sky outside our school windows, and the ancient tree behind the library is stripped of its vibrant red leaves. It's our first glimpse of winter branches, bare and clawlike.

The Thursday before break starts, we're in Mrs Burn's class, whiling away the minutes as the rain pelts against the window. Asteria is sketching new soccer techniques on the corner of her notebook. Oliver's on the opposite side of the room, flicking paper footballs each time Mrs Burn turns her back. Billie is sitting with her head in her hand, picking at her nail polish and staunchly avoiding my eyes.

She looks tired.

Mrs Burn is prattling on about her favourite show, 'The Masked Singer', when she abruptly switches gears and grabs a stack of paper from her desk, "I've got your homework graded", she announces, "Zira, here".

I take the stack of papers obligingly and start to pass them around the room. That's when I notice Elodie Chandra trading a note with her friend Ola Mclaren. They're just scrawling furiously back and forth.

Just when I'm about to deliver the last pieces of homework, there's a ruckus as Mrs Burn confiscates Elodie and Ola's note.

"Sending notes, Ms Chandra?" She stand impatiently at the front of the room, "hmph let's see what's so interesting that it couldn't wait until class ends..."

She narrows her beady eyes and wheeze into reading. I stop where I satnd, the last two homework pieces in my hand.

"If she ever thinks she'll set foot onto my property, she's delusional", Mrs Burn starts, her voice grating. My classmates shift in their seats; everyone can tell this is going to be good.

Mrs Burn changes her tone to indicate Ola's reply, "But you said everyone's invited to this party".

"Not a predatory bitch like her".

Everyone gasps, wide eyed with glee. There's a rumble of Ooooh around the room.

"Why would you say something so crass?" Mrs Burn scolds Elodie, but continues reading.

"Girl, jeeze, LOL what did she even do to you?"

My instinct about the 'bitch' they're talking about grows clearer. I can't help but notice Billie's face darkening on the opposite side of the room.

"Ugh, I don't even want to talk about it. We were at this party last year and she started—"

There's collective anticipation in the room; it seems like everyone has figured out who Elodie's note is about. Something we've all been wondering for months is about to be revealed—and the look on Billie's face is one of terror.

Mrs Burn opens her mouth again, and my heart drill in my chest and then—

In a flash, something took over me and I snatch the paper out of Mrs Burn's hand. Before anyone can register what happened, I spit my gum into the note and crumple it up in my hand, throwing it in the bin.

Mrs Burn's eyes are popping. I feel like I'm staring down a basilisk. I do the only thing I can think of: shrug and back away from her, acting like I've done the most innocent thing on earth.

"Good timing", I say casually, "that gum just lost its flavour".

There's an outbreak of gasping and giggling. I collapse into my seat, with Mrs Burn glaring at me like a tomato faced demon.

"Detention, Ms Jelani", she snarls, "how about tomorrow, just to delay your break from starting?"

I don't care about the punishment, even though Asteria will be on my ass about missing practice. Everyone is staring at me, and I know my face is reddening, but the only person I manage to connect with is Billie.

She stares across the room at me with the most curious expression on her face. I hold her eyes for a moment, then look down at my homework, perfectly graded with an A+ on top.

By the time I finish practice that day, the entire senior class seems to have heard about my wildly stupid gesture. A record number of people show up to watch the end of our practice, and I can't figure out why until I see that Billie is back in their ranks. Asteria who has barely spoken to me since practice started looks resentfully delighted.

Billie approaches when I'm yanking off my ankle braces, I can feel every eye on the pitch, on us.

Her dark hair is tied back, and she's wearing her regular cheer uniform.

"They think we're going to have some dramatic reconciliation", she tells me.

"Gross".

We hover on the spot. Then Billie says, "let me walk you to your car".

We leave our nosy classmates behind and make our way out to the parking lot. We busy ourselves with zipping up our coats and chugging our water bottles. It's not until we're standing by my car that Billie speaks.

"You didn't have to do that, Zira".

It's the first time she's said my actual name, and I feel a sudden warmth in my chest. I have to look away from her eyes, "trust me, I didn't plan too".

She clears her throat, "Is she really going to make you stay late tomorrow?"

"It won't be too bad. She wants me to deep clean her whiteboard".

"I used to love doing that. The smell of that cleaning spray".

We fall silent. The air crisp, cold, clean. The marquee across the way reads 'Happy Wanksgiving'.

"What would I have to do at Elodie's?" Billie asks.

I laugh through my nose, "are you asking because I proved myself to you, or because her nasty note said you couldn't come?"

Her mouth twitches, "Both".

"God, you're stubborn".

"And you're not?"

I roll my eyes, "we wouldn't be at Elodie's long. We'd just make an appearance, hang with our friends, make sure Amyra got a good look".

Billie shifts her duffel bag, watching me, "You really think she's worth all this effort?"

I chew my bottom lip, "I know it's petty".

"Yeah", she agrees, but not like she's judging me. There's silence until she speaks again. I can tell by her expression she's going to relent, "if we get there and I say we need to leave, we leave. No questions asked".

"Deal", I stick my hand out for her to shake.

She quirks and eyebrow. We clasp hands for a brief, firm moment. It's weird that her hands are starting to feel familiar.

"See you tomorrow, asshole", she says, turning on the spot.

"I'll send you a love letter from detention", I call after her.

AUTHORS NOTE:

lol