Chapter 20 - Torn

A/N: Hey after 2 years I decided to finish this story ... so if you still like and care about it! Leave some comments and love. 

Riley fidgeted in her black dress as she could feel her hands fill with sweat. She couldn't believe she was out in the open with Isabella and not have to worry about peering eyes. However, she knew that Lucas was looming around with Allison but they kept their distance.

The funeral had been beautiful, her parents had planned every detail and moment down to the second. Everyone had returned to the Matthews to eat and talk about Josh, and Riley could feel the overwhelming sense that something was going to go wrong. She could see Farkle huddled into a corner as Maya stood in a small circle of Josh's friends. Zay had kept himself busy by helping Cory and Topanaga with the guests. Riley realized she felt exposed, like a sore thumb within a sea of black with a confused child.

"Mama?" Isabella whispered and tugged at Riley's dress.

"Yeah Izzy?" Riley asked.

"Is everybody sad because of Uncle Josh?" Isabella asked.

"Yes," Riley said honestly and Isabella sniffled.

"Why can't he come back?" Isabella asked.

"It's hard to explain sweetie, but mommy told you that Uncle Josh is watching over us?" Riley said as she crouched down to Isabella's height.

"It's not the same," Isabella pouted and her eyes teared up.

"I know," Riley whispered and held the small girl's face in her hands.

Isabella's frown deepened but it slowly stopped when Riley heard footsteps behind her. Riley froze and cursed herself knowing that eventually Lucas would approach her, but she wasn't ready to see the smug look on Allison's face. She slowly turned and let out a sigh of relief when she saw her grandparents with bloodshot eyes.

"Hey there is the Izzybean," Alan Matthews choked trying his best to smile.

"Great Papa," Isabella said and hugged his leg.

Riley watched Alan's eyes light up a bit and could see that the hug healed one of the cracks in his heart. Riley couldn't imagine what they were going through, she couldn't fathom the idea of burying Isabella before her time.

"Riley honey," Amy said and pulled the girl into a tight hug.

Riley let a few tears slide down her face as she took in her grandmother's hug.

"Grandma, I do not know what to even say-"

"Thank you Riley," Amy interrupted.

"What?" Riley questioned as Alan lifted Isabella.

"Thank you, for being there, he wasn't alone, he ... he had you, family," Amy cried.

"Of course," Riley whispered.

"I love you, you know that sweetheart?" Amy said.

"Of course," Riley said in shock.

"We don't say it enough, I love you Riley," Amy said and pulled Riley into another hug.

"I love you too," Riley whispered.

"I love you too Great Papa," Isabella said and Alan chuckled softly.

He placed a kiss on the small child's cheek and Riley pulled away. She wiped her tears away from her face and smiled at Isabella.

"Sorry to interrupt,"

Riley seized, she knew that voice, it still sent shivers down her spine. It was warm, smooth, protective and Riley turned to see Lucas alone.

"And you!" Amy said with a smile.