- 𝟏.𝟎𝟐

–     ꥟     –

❝ chapter two — cries in the woods ❞

chapter two — cries in the woods

❝ chapter two — cries in the woods ❞

–     ꥟     –

     BIRDIE COULD SEE three Walkers among the branches, hobbling over the foliage. One was lagging behind due to what looked like a missing foot. She couldn't see Sophia, but Walkers were nothing if not stubborn. She ran in their direction, keeping a couple of yards of distance between them. Low-hanging branches scratched at her face and neck and the undergrowth threatened to trip her. The Walkers didn't seem bothered by such problems, for they stumbled on, rather quickly for things called "Walkers." Though, she supposed "Joggers" didn't have the same ring to it.

     She nearly collided with Sophia as the girl turned sharply, revealing that Birdie had caught up to her. She feared she might have run right past her if not for Sophia spotting her first.

     "Woah, hey," Birdie soothed, trying to get a hold of the girl. She struggled in her grip, grabbing for the gun hidden in a holster underneath the folds of her jacket. A revolver Birdie hadn't even considered because of its danger.

     "Kill them!" Sophia screamed, nearly pulling out the firearm. "Birdie, shoot them!"

     "No, no, no," Birdie hissed. She held her by the shoulders and knelt before her, forcing the girl to look her in the eyes. "It makes too much noise, okay? That huge herd of Walkers'll come right for us." She scanned the forest behind them, seeing the Walkers come into view. "C'mon."

     Sophia gripped her hand and Birdie ran, all but dragging her through the trees. It was only a few seconds later that the girl tripped, her hand slipping from the young woman's. The girl yelped in surprise and Birdie skidded to a halt. "Sophia!"

     She dragged the girl to her feet and scanned her for any sort of injury as quickly as she could. "I can't run as fast as you," Sophia cried.