chapter 4

Python woke up to a world of pain. He felt his body burning, his bones breaking, his blood boiling. He opened his eyes and saw nothing but fire and smoke.

He tried to move, but he couldn't. He was buried under a pile of rubble, trapped and helpless.

He coughed, and tasted blood in his mouth. He breathed, and felt ash in his lungs. He screamed, and heard no one answer.

He realized he was alone.

He wondered what had happened to the bomb, to the rebels, to the Scorpion Den. He wondered if anyone had survived the explosion.

He wondered if anyone knew he was alive.

He wondered if anyone cared.

He felt a surge of anger and bitterness. He blamed himself for his stupidity, for his curiosity, for his recklessness. He blamed the rebels for their treachery, for their hatred, for their violence. He blamed the world for its cruelty, for its chaos, for its indifference.

He hated himself. He hated them. He hated everything.

He wished he could die.

But he didn't.

He lived.

He lived through the pain, through the fire, through the silence.

He lived through the days, through the nights, through the seasons.

He lived through the hunger, through the thirst, through the infection.

He lived through the madness, through the despair, through the loneliness.

He lived.

And he changed.

His body changed, adapting to his environment, healing from his injuries, surviving from his ordeal.

His scales changed, becoming darker and harder, blending with the ash and stone.

His eyes changed, becoming brighter and sharper, seeing through the smoke and darkness.

His wings changed, becoming smaller and lighter, folding against his back.

His magic changed, becoming stronger and wilder, responding to his emotions and thoughts.

His mind changed, forgetting his past, losing his identity, creating a new one.

He forgot who he was. He forgot where he came from. He forgot what he had done.

He became someone else. He became something else.

He became Ashfall.'''

A/N 308 words