Chapter 8

Two weeks later-

My alarm goes off at promptly 7:30 AM. I groan, and roll over to turn it off. I wipe the sleep out of my eyes and stretch. I hear a soft rap at my door and sleepily reply, "Come in."

"You look so adorable in the morning," a voice states.

"Matttttt, get out.  I haven't even brushed my teeth yet i look terrible."

"I think you mean beautiful," he laughs, "A little smelly though."

I chuck a pillow at his face and yell for him to get out,  laughing until he eventually leaves.

I leave my room and grab my swim bag. Summer league is starting and I need to condition, so Matt and I decided we'd go to the YMCA and swim together.

I walk downstairs in my fastskin and Matt stares at me with an unrecognizable tone on his face.

"What?" I ask.

"Well you're over here looking like an Olympian and I'm struggling to find my floaties."

I bust out laughing at that.

"Don't worry babe, if you were drowning I might save you."

Oh yeah. We're dating. Just a heads up.

We've decided to keep it an absolute secret with media and everything, so nobody knows. Not even Abby.

I feel terrible. I haven't talked to her in days and our friendship is drifting. I know she's happy for me, but she doesn't see herself in the picture.

I invited her to swim with us today, but never got a text back..hopefully she shows.

I'm drafting a text to Abby when a loud car horn blows outside.
"goddamnit Matt," I mumble.
I sling my Speedo duffel over my shoulder and head out the door, locking it behind me. We're halfway to the Y when I tell Matt to take a left on Maple.

He looks at me quizzically but obeys. He glances at me for the next directions.

"Right." I state.
I point at a small brick house on the corner and tell Matt to pull up.
I knock on the door and a fragile version of the woman I know answers.

"Mrs.Owen...is everything okay? Is Abby home?" Mrs. Owen stares at me for a moment until tears fill her eyes, I'm lost.

I feel Matts hand rest on my waist and I step out of it and fill Mrs.Owen in a strong embrace. I have no idea what's wrong with Abby but something has shaken this woman.

She brushes my hair over my shoulder and gives a grim smile.
"Come inside, you two."