Chapter 9

I enter abbys home not sure what to expect. I brace myself for whatever might be behind these doors. My heart is racing and my head starts to pound.

Mrs. Owen leads Matt and I back to Abbys bedroom. I rest my hand on Matts arm, signaling him to remain in the hallway. He nods. I inhale deeply and open the door to find a grey, still, shrill body propped on the bed. Tears flow uncontrollably down my cheeks as I gasp at the sight.

I rush to the bedside and place my hand in hers. Her eyes watch me but her frame remains motionless and no sounds emerge from her lips. I force a smile onto my face as I say "What's up girl! Do you know they're making a Pitch Perfect 3!? And a Princess Diaries 3. We have got to go see those when they come out! Promise?"

I pat her hand and force myself to continue. "I watched Orange Is The New Black yesterday. It's getting good man you're missing out. You should've came over!" My voice cracks but I refuse to stop. Abby needs this.

"Can you believe Iggy is getting married!? I would've never thought. I wonder if her music will get any better now that she's cuffed hahaha"

I try to start another sentence but my voice begins to shake and Abby releases her grip on my hand, I think signaling me that I could leave. I kiss her forehead and quickly shuffle out of the bedroom.

I exit the room and collapse straight into Matthews arms. My legs fall out from under me and he pulls me into his arms. I cry for what feels like hours and dig my hands into his soft cotton hoodie. He brushes my hair out of my eyes and holds me, not saying a single word.

How could this happen? In a greater matter, what exactly did happen?

I turn to Mrs. Owen and meet her chilling blank expression. I release a breath and begin, "Mrs.Owen what exactly happened to Abby?"

Mrs. Owens' eyes begin to water again as she replies, "she starved herself. I had no idea I didn't know I would've stopped it I should've stopped it It's my fault it's my fault it's my fault it's my-"

I wrap my arms around her and bury my face deep into her shoulder and boldly yet softly reply "It is not your fault. Hundreds of thousands of teenagers battle eating disorders daily. You are not alone. Just thank God that Abby is here alive with us. That He loved her enough to let us love her for more time. It'll be okay Mrs.Owen. I'm here now."

That is the most comfort I could give her at the moment.