Complications

"Partap, have some more. You've barely eaten. First, you barely come home and now you don't even eat. Look how thin you have become." My mother-in-law says, as my father-in-law quietly eats his food. Tejas sat beside me lost, his spoon fiddling on his plate as Raavi sat on my other side and ate with one hand, texting her husband with the other. I knew by that smile on her face that there was one man that could make her this happy.

"Is he coming today?" I asked in a whisper as Raavi looks up knowing who I was talking about but still blushes at being caught texting at the table.

"No, he'll come day after tomorrow. " she says, as I nod.

"And you'll be staying here until then?" Tejas was the one to ask this time, as Raavi nodded.

"You've been asking my whereabouts a lot recently. Me and Alexander will be here to celebrate Diwali and Gurpurab and then leave for Christmas." She taunted her elder brother.

"I was thinking if we should get a tutor for the kids here. They spend a lot of time here." He says, as she thinks for a moment.

"Yup, now that I'll be working more I think we should look for someone." She says, as this was new information. She was working now? And that too in India when her husband had his business in US? "I'm actually glad they slept with you guys. I have to... work. So, it's better if you keep them under your supervision."

"Raavi, Divjyot and Tejas are a newly married couple. I'll ask someone to bring the kids down to the bedroom beside mine and Ekansh's." my mother-in-law interrupted.

"Uhm..." my father-in-law cleared his throat as my mother-in-law gave him a stinky eye as he yelped. "Ouch."

"What's wrong, dad?" Raavi spoke almost mockingly.

"I think... uhm... a mosquito bit on my toe." He says, as Tejas keeps his hand on his mouth covering a laugh as I finally understood what was happening.

"It seems like you have plans with dad, mom. Don't worry me and Divjyot are okay with the twins. We have absolutely no plans." He says, as Raavi chuckles.

"They are five. They don't wet their beds or need milk, just a little holding or coaxing back to sleep after a bad dream." She says, as I smile and nod.

"Don't worry, we'll take them for the night." I say, as she smiled in response.

"Bhabhi, just don't ever change... okay?" she says, as I nod still confused.

"Like Raavi did after her marriage." Tejpartap says, turning the conversation in a fun and light hearted direction. "By 14 kgs. You should write a book about it, Raavi." He says, as Raavi gasps looking for something to throw at him. "The journey of a woman to a buffalo."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Divjyot." My husband says, as we were walking towards our section after dinner.

"Ji?" I say, as he smiles at the respect.

"Did you get your periods after our wedding?" he asks, as I think for a minute trying to think of myself in pain on the beautiful king sized bed.

"Nope. I haven't since I came into this house. I... Like it must be the stress of the wedding and the new environment." I say, and remind myself to go to gynecologist and get a check-up I need to get a regular check up and my fertility tests done, since this might not be a good sign.

I might be an outstanding officer, but I need to be able to give him a heir for this marriage to work.

He opens the door to our section as the guard bows. I nod to him with a smile with the opposite in my mind and walk in.

I like that how in the past 45 days of our marriage, Tejas has made this a habit. He opens every door for me personally and the guards have gotten used to it.

"I'll order a pregnancy test." He says in a low voice, as my feet came to a standstill and turned to look at him walking out of the very door we had just entered from. I went to my room being as quiet as possible to avoid waking up the twins and changed into my shorts and tank top, putting on a robe with one thing haunting me.

What if it's negative?

Do I want it to be positive?

I have a promotion due soon and this might not be a suitable time for me professionally. But if it's negative, what would it mean for me and Tejas?

I came to his bedroom and sat on the bed, biting my nails in utter confusion. Do I even want a kid? Will I be able to raise a kid?

It sounded like too much responsibility piling up on my shoulders after few weeks of my marriage. This was the reason why I took a morning after pill.

No, this isn't possible. Tejas is just suspicious over nothing and I shouldn't be worried about this. I can't be pregnant.

I heard the main door open followed by the steps towards his bedroom as the door opens.

"Oh, you're... I should have knocked." He says handing me a paper bag. I take it from him and look inside to find two pregnancy test kits.

"I... I took a plan-B. I can't... I mean, I'm not sure that I even need this." I say, as he nodded.

"If we aren't sure that you don't need this, let's be sure?" he says, as I sigh and nod taking the bag towards his washroom since the kids would be disturbed if I go to mine.

I remembered sitting in that huge bathtub on my wedding night, alone in this room while he was in prison.

Tonight I was more present to smell the musk scent in the washroom. This particular fragrance of musk had always conceded over his natural woody and leathery scent. I felt calm in this scent, as I opened the packing to read the instructions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Divjyot?" he knocks on the door again as I zone out from what I was looking at. I hesitate and tear open the second test hoping for a different result. "Divjyot, speak up? I'm worried here. Are you okay? There's no noise coming... Just tell me you are fine or I'll break open the door.

I take the drops from the little sterilized container he had brought along and pour it on the second test as the words barely choke out broken and raspy as tears flowed down my eyes.

"I'm fine." I say, as I close my eyes waiting for the result. I never thought about this day coming so soon. I never wanted to be in this washroom expecting a result like the one I'm hoping this time. Something different from what the display of the previous test was showing loud and clear.

"Divjyot, If you are undressed, dress up. I'll count till three and break open the..." he was saying when I walked to the door and opened it for him. I pushed him aside and walked out of his room passing the pool side to reach the balcony that overlooked the swings.

Lights from the mountains in small cabins were visible bright and shining among the darkness of the night as I couldn't quite figure out what I wanted and why in that moment I had wanted it.

I had a plan. Establish my dream of being an IPS officer, then get married and have kids. I forgot something very essential.

Love.

I forgot to take a pause and let the little things in life woe me. Imagine the little scream inside me, that had wanted the test to be positive, so that could help my relationship with Tejas.

I was this idiot that wanted to use something as innocent as a little kid bearing the burden to fix something that he or she didn't even cause.

I despised myself in that moment, but the result made me despise myself even more. I couldn't understand, why?

+++++++Author's note+++++++
Thank you for the quickest 20🌟
I do have the best readers.

It's  time for a double update  tonight coz you deserve it.

Lots of love.
Avreet