V

°ʏᴏᴜᴛʜ°

     After last summer, Vermont was no longer a safe space for Nala

     After last summer, Vermont was no longer a safe space for Nala. Not that it ever was, though. Nonetheless, Jeremiah noticed how antsy she was when they drove past the welcome sign and into the state.

     Only another hour or so and they'd be in her hometown.

     She hadn't let go of his hand the entire ride, and when she absolutely had to, she grabbed it again the moment the opportunity rose.

     Jeremiah missed the warmth she brought his hands, but he knew all of it was temporary. She only needs him for the time being.
She'll probably pull a Conrad and find another shoulder to cry on.

     He scolded himself for thinking that way. This is Nala, and she's almost nothing like his stupid, big brother.

     "Do you remember how excited you were when we first took this drive?" She suddenly speaks up.
     "You stuck your head out the window and pointed out everything around us."

     Jeremiah smiles. "And I listened to your entire history lesson."

     She playfully rolls her eyes, "Shut up, you loved every second of it."

     "Only because it was you giving it."

     Their eyes meet, and a flame ignites the within them. Nala does everything possible to push down the feeling, to snuff out the flame but it doesn't work.

     She's losing control.

     Clear her throat, Nala pulls her knees to her chest, Jeremiah, s hand falling from them.

     Her gaze averts to the passing scenery. "Do you think he's gonna be there?" She asks.

     And he knows exactly who she's talking about. Of course he did. Jeremiah's heart broke at the news of what happened the night before their last in Vermont.

     How could he ever forget it when it was all he could think about?

     "Why wouldn't be?"

     A scoff escapes her throat, brows knitting just the smallest bit.
"You know why," she says. "They broke up, you know? Because of me."

     "Nala-"

     "Do you even remotely understand what thats like? To lose everyone in one single night and have to carry on like it never happened?"

      He knew a thing or two about that.

     "All I ever think about is how much you and everyone else hurt me, and then I remember the fine details and the fact that I hurt you guys, too... "