~ chapter I ~

"How are you feeling Hazel?"

I look up at his ocean-blue eyes. His blonde hair falls messily over his forehead as he looks down at me and I notice his loose tie. I move my hands up his chest and tighten it while doing up his top button to hide his small heart tattoo.

I take his hand in mine and squeeze. "I'm good, a little nervous though," I explain.

"Aw, don't stress! You've met them all before,"

"I know, I know."

'I just have a bad feeling you're about to propose to me.'

But of course, I can't say that.

Don't get me wrong - I love Leo, I do. He's sweet, has a good career, our families love each other, it's a perfect match! The problem is... I don't love Leo the way he loves me. For me, there was never any excitement or attraction, he was an amazing partner and I love him... as a friend.

"Should we head out?" He asks to break the silence.

"Sure."

He takes my hand in his and leads us out to the front yard.

Today we celebrate our fifth anniversary. 

His mother had the grand idea to throw a party in our front yard.

I stand on the top of the stairs in a flowy off-white dress next to Leo, who wears a black suit. We both stare down at around a hundred people.

"I thought you said I've met them all," I whispered to Leo.

"Ah... I may have missed a page or two when I read the guest list."

I giggle. "Sounds like you," I hum as we begin to walk.

A wave of applause falls over us as we enter the crowd.

"Congratulations!" People call out.

"They're acting like we're getting married," I joke with an eye roll.

"Well, who knows," he mumbles in reply.

My stomach knots at his words.

'If you propose to me in front of all these people, Leo, so help me God-'

"Hazel! You look ravishing, has Leo complimented you yet?"

I snap back to reality. "Only a hundred times,"

Leo chuckles lowly. 

"I'm glad I raised him right." Leo's mum says while squishing his cheek. "Let us sit."

Leos's mum, Avery, takes a glass and gently taps it with a spoon.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please excuse my interruption. I'd like to say a few words about my wonderful son, Leo and his partner, Hazel..."

I turn to Leo with a confused look as she ends her speech with "I cannot wait for her to be my daughter-in-law."

Leo faces me with a grin. He wraps one arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him.

"You're the love of my life, Hazel." He whispers into my ear.

"I love you too," I say while smiling up at him.

"I have exciting news!" Avery beams.

"And what's that, mother?"

"Zoe is back from Germany!"

Leo stiffens beside me.

"Wonderful!" I exclaim with a clap. "It will be nice to meet her,"

Leo takes my hand and pulls me towards the drinks.

As he pours himself a glass full of wine I sigh.

"I know you don't like talking about her, but seeing her again will be nice, right?"

"No."

"She's been gone for over six years, you can't seriously still be mad at her."

"I am."

"Won't you tell me what happened between you two?" I say in a gentle voice. I place my hand on his upper arm and try give a reassuring look.

"Never."

I groan and rub my forehead. "Would you be upset if I liked her?"

His eyes snap to mine, his cheeks fuming. "Very."

"Well if she's a nice person then I'll like her, and if you don't tell me why-"

He squeezes my wrist. "You are the last person on Earth I will let get close to her."

"But-"

"Mark my words, Hazel, you do not want to get close to her."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Well unless I know why, I make no promises." I whisper-yell while snapping my wrist from his grasp.

He flicks his head to the side with a frown. "You're extremely stubborn."

"No, I'm being reasonable."

He rolls his eyes.

"Sweety, is everything alright?" Avery walks up to me.

I force a smile. "Yes, just a little misunderstanding."

"Alright... would you like to join me for a dance?"

"Of course!" 

I turn to Leo who stares into the crowd, a blank look on his face.

I take Avery's hand and she sways us to the beat.

"You looked distressed earlier," she begins, "I thought I would help you escape."

"Thanks," I mumble in reply, "I just don't understand Leo sometimes."

"Why is that?"

"He won't tell me why he doesn't like his sister, yet expects me to hate her too."

She sighs. "He won't tell me either, sweety. Just ignore him, I'm sure he has his reasons but you're your own person."

I give her a shy smile. "Thanks." 

"Would you like to meet her? I'm sure you two will get along just fine."

"I'd love to!"

'I've never had a sister.'

Avery leads me past the crowd and towards the food table.

Rows of breads, cheeses, crackers and fruits sit along the table. My eyes flicker around the crowd in search of someone like Leo. My eyes fall upon a young lady. Her dirty blonde hair waves down past her shoulders and her green eyes are deep like a forest. Her pale skin glows honey in the sunlight and her cheeks are rosy red.

She wears a pink lip along with a pale red dress that falls to her knees. The flowy fabric blows in the breeze. My eyes travel to the thin straps that wraps around her neck and the obvious lack of a bra.

My heart flutters as I notice her hard nipples through the dress.

"Zoe, dear, how are you?" Avery's voice pulls me from my trance.

"I'm alright," she says softly with a grin. "It's lovely to see you again, mother."

Her light German accent adds to her magical aura. 

"Zoe, I'd like to meet Hazel, Leo's partner."

I put out my hand and her hand wraps around mine. Her soft skin radiates warmth which sets every nerve in my arms in fire.

"It's nice to meet you," I say. She replies with a small nod.

"I'd love to get to know you," she admits.

"That'd be nice!"

She smiles and I feel the whole world fade away.