Chapter 5 - Old Friends

Sebastian sat hunched over scattered parchments in the Room of Requirement, his brow furrowed in concentration. The dim, flickering light of a nearby candle cast eerie shadows on the walls, adding to the sense of urgency that hung over him like an invisible weight.

The Quidditch trials yesterday had only reminded him of his failure. Replacing Anne as Seeker had left a bitter taste in his mouth. He knew Imelda was only keeping Anne's spot warm, but still. It was just another reminder that he was no closer to saving his sister.

And then there had been that spectacle between Darling and Vincent Burke. It had been amazing but Sebastian couldn't help but feel confused. Vinnie had always been a formidable Beater, but yesterday he had gone right for Darling with a ferocity that bordered on madness – completely ignoring everyone else.

Of course, Darling had revelled in it, she'd looked like she was having the time of her life up there. But that wasn't what bothered him, he knew what she could do even without a wand. But Burke had no way of knowing that, did he?

Vinnie had laughed and joked with her afterward, as if they were old friends, complementing each other on their more impressive moves. Yet, Sebastian couldn't shake the nagging feeling that there was something more to their interaction.

Perhaps he just wanted to see what the 'Hero of Hogwarts' could do? Sebastian wondered, his fingers tapping against the tabletop. Unless...could he somehow sense her abilities? Did he understand her in a way Sebastian didn't?

Just then, the door to the room swung open, interrupting Sebastian's thoughts.

"I told you he'd be in here," came Ominis's voice.

"Sebastian, it's Sunday," Darling chided, her hands on her hips. "You need to take a break."

"I'm fine," Sebastian insisted, waving them off

"I'm fine," Sebastian insisted, waving them off. "We've only got limited time between classes. I can't stop now."

Darling rolled her eyes. "At least come into Hogsmeade for a drink. It'll clear your head."

Sebastian hesitated. He glanced at the stacks of books surrounding him, then back at Darling's expectant face.

"Maybe," he conceded. He hesitated for a moment before adding, "It's just I've been thinking..."

"What?" She asked, looking mildly wary at his apparent hesitation.

"Darling, I know you don't want to, and I understand, but maybe you could let me into the Map Chamber to talk to the Keepers?"

As he expected, Darling visibly recoiled at the idea. "Sebastian, I've told you. I don't think they really understand this stuff themselves, and even if they did, we agreed they're not trustworthy. If you tell them about these notes you found, they will just—"

"I won't tell them about the notes," Sebastian interrupted.

Ominis frowned, "Then why talk to them? They've already told Darling what they know."