Part X

Word Count: ~3700

Warnings: none

A/N: Even just planning a fictional wedding is a lot of work LOL. Hope you enjoy <3

I wondered if the coils of nerves I felt in addition to those soft butterflies would also linger until the actual wedding came and went. I was nervous to even just get the girls together–Bev, Kirsti and Jane–and I couldn't understand why that was, not entirely anyway. They all knew each other. Bev and Jane were friends, though Jane and Kirsti had only met once or twice, and it wasn't like I was being paraded to my grave–we were going wedding dress shopping, something I was really looking forward to. Except, and I giggled to myself about this as I drove to Kirsti's house to pick her up, I did really want Josh to go with me too. However, we'd agreed that keeping the bride's dress a secret until the day of the ceremony was a tradition we would abide by, which I also liked. He said he could imagine me in the dress I chose; I could imagine the look on his face when he finally saw it.

I was also excited to see the dress for myself, whatever and wherever it might be. I was unsure that the first bridal shop we went to would have what I pictured, which I described in detail to Kirsti while we drove over, but hopeful for the best. The thought of having to drag out this process over multiple shops and multiple days seems completely daunting but I felt like I understood what all other brides strived for as well–perfection and nothing less. It was a lot of pressure to put on myself and everyone else, really, and I figured the boys would have a much easier time. Although, maybe not–Josh had a fierce eye for detail and a strong drive for perfection, too.

Bev and Jane ambushed me with a dual hug as soon as I stepped out of the car, though I'd already told Bev about the engagement in person and Jane had shrieked like an overjoyed banshee when I'd called her about it. I couldn't hold back the laughter that bubbled out of me; I hugged them back and we squeezed one another while they both erupted into overlapping chatter of disbelief and excitement.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I knew this would happen," Bev said, releasing me from her hold and Jane followed suit, both of them giving me room to breathe. "But it's still like, wow. So exciting. So crazy. Are you so excited?"

I laughed again, throwing my head back and my face felt a strong burst of early afternoon sunlight. "I'm so excited," I said, and it felt more and more true each time I said it. "It's okay to not believe it wouldn't happen though. I dragged out this relationship for so long–"

Kirsti quickly interrupted me: "Enough of that," he said in her best big-sister-scolding tone, but when I looked at her, a smile broke out over her lips. "Life is long. You're getting married, that's all that matters."

"This dress matters too," Bev said, hooking her arm in mine and motioning for Jane to take the other, which she did. "Let's find you the perfect one."

"And the perfect shoes," Jane added. "And the perfect everything else."

Inside the shop was a huge wash of white, mostly. But within the blank canvas of color, or lack thereof, there were so many different textures, fabrics and cuts that it soon became overwhelming just to look at; but I wasn't there for white. I had a vision in my mind of my dress and the dresses for the friends I treasured so deeply, none of which would be white. I explained this to the stylist, who led all of us to a different section, one that matched the aesthetic of the sort of subdued, soft twilight sky I had in mind; she helped me choose four different ones to start, and I quickly learned that being the center of attention for so long was going to be a bit of a challenge.

"Come on, don't be bashful," Bev called out while I stripped behind a curtain. "We're here to judge the dresses, not you."

"It's a good thing Mom didn't come," Kirsti added. "She'd be doing both."