Chapter Seven

Calia did not have much time before her next class across campus, according to the directions Lottie gave her before she left. This was of dire importance, however, and if she was late to one class this semester, so be it. The enormous library was older than her, with rows and rows of books ranging from history to literature—all of them handpicked for students by the one and only Elora Breevort. Most of these books were ancient texts her husband acquired throughout the centuries, mostly about war strategies and journals of mad men spilling the truth about the undead on paper, seeking to expose them all. Well, until, Sebastian Breevort found out about their plans, of course. In the middle stood a glass chandelier—much like the one in the dining hall, as there were hundreds of desks and chairs, most of which were occupied by other students. On the other end was whom she sought after once she entered this part of Solasta, one the Coach mentioned who could help her find exactly what she was looking for. Miss Hildred.

A tap on her shoulder made her jump out of her reverie. Calia whirled, wondering who would date to creep on her, but knew better when she peered into Arzhel Koen's moss-green eyes. She sank in relief as she glanced at the clock above the rows of books. "We don't have much time before our next class."

"So, let's hurry it up, then," he replied.

She and Arzhel greeted the librarian—well, more so Calia than the broody Fae male who offered nothing but a bleak expression that was close to a scowl. Miss Hildred sat at her desk quietly enjoying the book in her hand when she noticed the two, her red-framed glasses narrowing as she set the book down in annoyance. From what she could tell, she was...human. Round ears and no Vampire fangs. Not even a hint of magic that her own could sense from a mile away or the stench of a dog. Calia bit the inside of her cheek as her mind spiraled with questions for the librarian, who was much older than her as her gray hairs were similar to hers. Later, when she had time, she would ask those questions. Calia was in a time crunch, and every minute passed made her want to bite her thumb. Instead, she gave Miss Hildred a kind smile. "Hello. My name is Calia Nox, and my mother attended Solasta seventeen years ago. Can you show us where her yearbook is?"

She examined Calia and Arzhel briefly before finally giving them a tight smile. "You look exactly like her, I hope you know that," Miss Hildred commented as though Calia did not already know. She did. It was obvious how much she looked like her late mother since she was a small child. At least that part of her would remember her. The librarian slowly stood up from her desk as she and Koen waited patiently for her to walk around and guide them to the far corner of the library that had nothing but a small dull lamp a rustic table, and two chairs. As Miss Hildred scanned the years labeled on the spines of the yearbooks, Calia could not help but sink in a deep breath of how many there were that were kept hidden in this cold spot.

Calia crossed her arms in hopes of hiding the questions rising in her mind, but it was no use. The lightball captain next to her noticed her wandering eyes and smirked as though he knew all along how it would affect her. Hundreds of thousands of yearbooks, spanning across centuries. Even if Solasta was fairly new to the Kingdoms, these were made for every creature who did attend some academy or university in their immortal life. It made her think of what Queen Elora told her before she left to come here. Don't be surprised if you find a portrait of me or Sebastian in the yearbooks, Calia. It was a gift for everyone when we opened Solasta. "Has anyone told you how easy it is to read your facial expressions?" Arzhel whispered beside her.

"Shut up."

"No."

She rolled her eyes. "It's a library. You're supposed to be quiet."

He tilted his head to the side, glancing at her with a smirk. "Do you have a handbook for library etiquette?"

Calia glared at him. "You're quite insufferable, Koen."