Chapter Thirty-Three

The beeping of the machine jolted her awake. Calia saw nothing but pure white walls and a bunch of figures she could barely see, as her vision was still blurry. Darkness loomed over her again, and she fell into a lovely dream.

***

She was covered in all sorts of colorful knitted blankets as Mister Cuddles sat in the crook of her armpit. It hurt too much to smile or even open her eyes, but she vaguely knew who would bring it for her. "How long do you think she will fully recover?" said a deep male voice from her right. Calia wasn't sure.

"Maybe another day or two," said another male voice. "She suffered a lot of injuries, and it takes time for her healing abilities to work properly."

"Why?" a sharp female voice questioned.

"She's a new Fae," the male replied. "And the damage he inflicted upon her...well, she would've been dead if it weren't for the Professor."

Calia realized the female voice was angry. Though she couldn't tell who it was, she asked another person in her room, "There's an academy in the Phoenix world, right? Can I bring Calia there until she graduates?"

"You can't possibly think about sending her away from her friends now," said another female voice. "She would hate you for it."

"Better she hates me than being dead."

"It's not my choice, and neither is yours," the female replied. "Wait until she wakes up before you rush into anything."

"Fine."

Calia decided it was best to continue her dream: swimming in all the oceans and petting all the animals in the forest. She loved every minute of it.

***

Her room was quiet except for the slow beeping of the machine and the breathing of someone else beside her bed. A warm hand wrapped around hers, but she didn't have the strength to move her fingers. "I should have protected you better, Calia," a young male whispered. It was raspy and tired as if he hadn't rested for days. "Should have realized you were missing sooner. It's all my fault."

The boy was quiet for a few minutes except for a few strangled sounds—almost as if he was crying. "I'm sorry for everything."

Then he dropped her hand, and she heard him leave.

Calia fell back asleep.