Chapter 9: The Sorry Bodyguard

Learn to forgive.

****

"So, how is she?" Rudra poured his Senapati some refreshing wine. "I hope things have gone well."

A cool breeze toyed with the uttariya of the men, giving the clothes a life of their own. It was a pleasant and quiet afternoon when the men rested after the day's hard work. Aryamna accepted the chalice. The maroon of the liquid beautifully contrasted his oceanic deep eyes. "I am not thinking much. She has forgotten everything."

Rudra took a sip of the madira. Even if the royals were encouraged to drink maireya, the simple and sugary madira had won his heart. "I know. And I also understand you will be slow."

The two sworn brothers gave each other a strange look. After a brief silence, Rudra continued. "Has she shown interest in adjusting to the new environment? I mean, she was still a princess in Gandhar, even though never seen well."

"She refuses to tell me things, but yes I have tried to peel off the layers. I kind of feel that..."

"That?"

Aryamna pursed his lips, blushing fiercely. "It's just my intuition. She still can't cook properly. It's better than before though and she can manage on her own, but not impressive."

Rudra's genial smile was contagious and very tempting . "You can cook. Don't let her hands burn."

"I won't. I have enough practice. Before coming here to the palace for my duties, I can complete some chores at home."

"By the way, don't mind..." Rudra swirled the wine and contemplated on the choice of words. "You see, we are very close, so I hope you will share your troubles."

Aryamna was perplexed.

Rudra waved his sweaty hands. "No no, I don't mean you don't share or are secretive. I mean that." He bit his lower lip.

Aryamna bent his neck to the side, gaze flickering between Rudra and the walls behind. "What?"

"Did you two–"

"No. Never. No."

The Rajan could feel the tightness in his chest disappear and return in cycles, confusing him if he should be at ease or not. "Oh, I get it." He rolled his tongue around the mouth. "She doesn't remember. She has changed. She is different."

"She isn't like before. I didn't do it because honestly," Aryamna gazed towards the sky wistfully, "if she isn't in love now, who am I even? It is her love that reminds me most of who I really am."

"Give her time. You love her, I know."

The skin under Aryamna's brows triangulated. "I am a nasty thing, am I not? I stole her dignity, did I not?" Aryamna tapped his fingers on the table, grinding his teeth. "Internal rumination," he muttered.

"That's true. And now when you know what you have turned into, I had to ensure that you controlled your senses well and not gave in."

"Love is powerful." There was a knock at the door. "Come in."

Aryamna wiped a lone tear, going back to his usual steel enigma.
Indumala crept into the room like a ghost. As soon as Aryamna saw the bodyguard, he stormed towards her.