Chapter 20. The Rajan Before and an Old Killer

Remember, my maiden, why you defeated death.

****

The miasma of blood made Ishvara feel nauseous. Fear curdled the ichor in her veins. Chains of magic left a burnt impression on her butterfly skin.

"Free me, Aryam!"

He did not listen. He wasn't even the Aryam she knew. He wasn't the sweet, charming boy who wanted her, but a living reminder of her past nightmares, of the horned devil.

"Please, Aryam. I can't leave the palace."

She tried yanking her hand away from Aryam while furiously sulking at a woman. Incessant sobs ruined the glow of her face. "All because of you." She accused the woman. "You aren't my mother, Ranavato. Never."

Ishvara held onto the curtains and pillars, begged the servants to listen. But no one could come to help. Aryam's oceanic pupils were lost in a haunting darkness. He lolled back his head, grinning like a demon. It sent chills down her spine.

"Please Aryam, don't." A silvery haired woman slid down the walls, crying. With hopes of reversing the chaos, a fair young warrior fought Aryam. It pained the warrior to hit his friend, but what else could be done? Alas, he was defeated soon by the extraordinary strength of Aryam.

The princess shut her eyes and cursed the gods. "Pasha, don't stand in his way. Not for me, I would never be able to forgive myself."

She knew she was doomed. The fears of her late father, realisation of which made her cower too, materialised not in the body of the worst man she knew, but the Rajan of Aryavarta.

It was happening.

He jerked the rattling chains, hissing at the soldiers who abandoned all courage and stepped aside.

"Aryam, you aren't evil."

Turning back with a groan, he smiled– the promise of a facade. "My love." He came closer and closer. The caged princess crawled back until she hit a dead end. When he lingered near her lips, she squirmed and screamed.

The dream vanished. Ishvara sprang up, finding herself in a sweaty puddle. Her hands were cold and numb.

"It isn't possible."

It was dawn. She found him still sleeping.

He still had a smile on his face.

Everything was still fine.

But a sinister terror agonised Ishvara. The thought of caressing his cheeks seemed dreadful.

"No, I can't just assume things about the man."

But she had seen him– the same elongated eyes, the same crimson smile. There had always been something magical and otherworldly about his deep blue orbs.

"Rajan Aryam?"

****

Dilrobar was used to avoiding Devanj at all costs. The man had strictly asked her to not come in his sight unless doomsday struck. Yet, it wasn't always easy to hide herself from the wrath of this lord. Often they would cross paths in the palace since they both lived there. But today was different– Dilrobar was going to him on her own, something she had never done.

She was afraid, yes. She knew she would have to face something horrible. But she was ready.

Dilrobar found happiness in the trials and tribulations of life. There was a sweetness in the pain that pushed her further towards redemption. She didn't want to live without it. This agony had shaped her into a better person and no way was she going to give up on this darkness that consumed her. In Dilrobar's perspective, lighting a candle for herself didn't matter, though she would do it several times for the souls that rebuked her. They needed prayers more than her.