Chapter 12: Engagement

It had been a couple of days since I had joined Nahida, the Dendro Archon as well as the Traveller Aether in that Irminsul place so as to cure its wound and to remove the threat upon Sumeru's land and people.

The first day of a better Sumeru ended with myself and Dunyarzad heading on back to Sumeru City so that I might return her home safe and sound. And whilst both Collei and Tighnari did accompany us to the city, they quickly took their leave to look for Aether and Paimon. Despite the massive celebrations ongoing throughout the city, I was able to get Dunyarzad back to her residence without any issues, and waiting outside of said home was her bodyguard Dehya who looked to be quite worried by her continued absence. But, upon reuniting lady and guard, she was more than ecstatic to hear that her Lady Dunyarzad's Eleazar was now completely gone and that she was on the mend.

Early the next morning I had ended up being recruited by the temporary head of Sumeru, Alhaitham, shortly afterwards— with my being asked to help maintain the peace until all the details of this usurping of the corrupt Sages had been dealt with. I also ended up assisting in the medical tents as well, tending to the wounded of the battle and any innocent civilians who might have been caught in the crossfire between the two warring factions.

At first I had no interest in spending another day here, and I had wanted to immediately make my return to Liyue, to my Hu Tao. But there was still the case of speaking to the Dendro Archon and that of the False God's fate. Thus far I had been unable to meet with the Archon of this nation due to the business of her new schedule, but I thought that if I were to await the Traveller's awakening I would quite likely be able to tag along with him when he inevitably has the time made for him... But Aether had been under medical care for a couple of days now, with this guy named Cyno taking the Traveller and his floating companion back to Gandharva Ville to safely rest away from the hubbub that is the city celebrations. I did ask for the two Forest Rangers to pass on a message for me, that I would be waiting to speak with them when they have the time...

Currently, though? I was in the House of Daena so as to give my daily report to Alhaitham, of which who was currently probing some books for information on something or other whilst also being accosted by some guy I had not yet been introduced.

???: "Just put down that worthless book and tell me what happened in the Akademiya."

Alhaitham: "This is not just some worthless book. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a physical book like this in Sumeru?"

???: "It doesn't matter, it's probably just another thing that you used your authority to get your hands on anyway. Just put it aside. Listen, I came back today only to hear that the sages have disappeared!"

Alhaitham: "Oh? You sound surprised. I thought you would already know the inside story."

???: "Would I be here asking you if I knew? You're the Scribe, not me. So just tell me what you know already!"

Alhaitham: "Well, I almost became a sage."

???: "...Huh?"

Alhaitham: "Don't sound too surprised now. You're the renowned Kaveh, light of the Kshahrewar. Besides, as a master builder and craftsman, chances are you'll be appointed as a sage, too."

So I guess that this guy's name is Kaveh? He sounds like quite the distinguished individual with quite some titles... and yet, from what I know of Alhaitham, I can't help but feel there was some mockery in this statement.

Kaveh: "...Hmph. Why do I feel like you don't really mean it?"

Alhaitham: "Hmph, what makes you say that? Why would you question my heartfelt sincerity?"