Abandonment

A number of things happened after that. You'd say they happened in no particular order, but that would be a lie.

It started after you called your mother. You'd been putting it off and putting it off, again and again, until you couldn't any longer.

She didn't pick up the first two times you called. That wasn't a good sign, yet you persisted. Luckily --or rather, unluckily-- she answered the phone on the third ring of the third attempt.

You should have just left a message.

"Y/N?" Your name was badly slurred, but you'd heard it like that so many times that you still recognized it. She'd been drinking. You could practically smell the cheap vodka over the transceiver. She'd been drinking again, even after she promised--

You didn't want to fight with her.

"Hi, Mom," you said, trying --and failing-- to sound bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Instead, you just sounded tired. "I wanted to let you know I finished up early and I'm coming home."

"Home?" She sounded confused.

"Yes. I thought you'd want to know, before I just showed up." Your mother always had a habit of making you feel like a guest in your own home.

There was a bit of static, followed by shuffling noises. She was probably peeling herself off of whatever horizontal surface she had passed out on. "I don't think that's a very good idea, Y/N," she sighed.

It was your turn to sound confused. "Why?"

"I've been thinking..."

After a long --too long-- pause, you prodded her, "Yeah?"

You should have just hung up.

"I think... I think I realize now why I never loved you."

You were stunned into silence. You always suspected she didn't, but hearing her admit it --plain as day-- broke something fragile inside you that had already been cracked.

"You remind me so much of my mother. So cold and distant, as if you were made of dry ice, like touching you would only hurt us both."

You tried to swallow but found you couldn't. Not around all your rage. "I'm your daughter, Mom. Not hers. I am what you made me." Again, you should have just hung up, forgot this call ever happened. No doubt she would deny everything she said once she sobered up. But you couldn't resist asking, "Why did you even have me, if you weren't going to love me?"

"A drowning woman will clutch at straws. Your father was moving up in the world, out of that frozen hell... He wouldn't have taken me with him if I hadn't been pregnant with you. You saved me. That being said, you should have died in the womb. As soon as I had that ring on my finger, I did everything in my power to miscarriage. You always were a fighter, though. From birth to now, you fought me every step of the way."

"I fought for my life." And you meant it.

She laughed, high and light as a helium balloon disappearing into the stratosphere. "What is a home if not the first place you run from?"

"You... You...!" You could call her all manner of nasty names. It wouldn't change a goddamn thing.

"I don't think it's a good idea to come back here. Now, or ever. I wish you luck in the world, Y/N. You're gonna need it." Click.

You held the phone to your ear for a long time after that. She was drunk, you told yourself. She didn't mean it, you told yourself. Lies, all lies. Your mother was never more honest than when she had a few drinks in her.