four ⚫️

"Shawn, Feeny told me that you haven't been doing your work lately," Jonathan started as the Hunter kid began to try thinking of a way out of the situation, as it was the end of the school day.

Shawn exhaled, looking around the now-empty hallways. The only person in sight, besides the two of them, was Cory, who was only a few feet away.

"It's not his fault." Cory began, as Turner looked at him questionably, "He just has a hard time understanding adults. When you guys speak, he doesn't hear words; he hears beeping noises."

"Yeah, it's true."

Turner looked between the two kids, not fully believing what Cory had said. Yeah, Hunter struggled and barely listened in school, but he sure as hell knew he didn't hear beeping when any adults spoke. It wasn't Charlie Brown after all!

The teacher sighed, "Look, maybe you just need to start applying yourself more."

Shawn furrowed his eyebrows, not getting at what was being said. "What?"

"You know—apply yourself more, meaning start listening."

"I do." The eleven-year-old defended as Turner looked at him skeptically, "As long as you talk in a language I understand."

"And in what language would that be: English or English?"

"English is good for me, right, Cor?"

"Yeah, Shawnie."

"Hey Matthews, shouldn't you be heading home now?" Turner asked, realizing the time.

"Yeah, well, I'm just waiting for Eric to show up. Apparently, I can't be trusted to walk home alone anymore—for now anyways." Cory explained as Shawn was signaling not to elaborate any further, even though his curly-headed friend had already let out everything. "I mean, that's just a lie—all lies! Really, Eric and I love hanging out. You know, walking home together is like our brotherly love."

"Cory, I've been waiting outside for like five minutes now." Eric spoke, walking inside the elementary school. "Hurry it up; you know I have plans. After I walk you home, I have a date to get to with Stephanie Baker, and I can't be late. For once, why couldn't your friend just not get you in trouble?"

"Well, gotta go!" Cory said, and with that, the two Matthew brothers left.

"Cory is so funny, isn't he?" Shawn laughed nervously, hoping that Turner wouldn't practically ground him as well, since Cory was and all. The kid wondered if that was even allowed, since it had been a couple days since that happened. Turner wouldn't do that, would he?

"Very." Jonathan said, thinking things through, "Don't worry, Hunter. I'm not going to ground you if that's what you're worried about."

With that, Shawn felt relieved. He still had his freedom. And with that, the kid let out a deep breath, not feeling so tense anymore.

"Do it again, though, and I will." He warned, both knowing that it wouldn't be long before he'd manage to get in trouble again. "Now, as far as history class goes, when we get home, you're going to do all that work you've been avoiding. I don't understand why you didn't do it when you were supposed to."

Shawn shrugged. "Because it's boring, and it makes no sense. Plus, it's not like it matters anyway."

"Oh, so it doesn't matter, now? Well, how do you expect to go to college later if you don't even try now? I get that they only look at the grades from ninth grade and up, but you need to start building these habits of working harder now." He explained.