Chapter 14

Prabhneet Kaur

The moment my two elder sisters became mothers, our home transformed into a bustling hub of activity. The sound of tiny feet pattering across the floor and the sweet cooing of newborns filled the air. Our once quiet abode was now a lively sanctuary, brimming with love and joy.

Every day, friends and family members flocked to our doorstep, eager to catch a glimpse of the newest additions to our family. The house was always teeming with visitors, each one bringing gifts and well-wishes for the little ones. It was a beautiful sight to behold, watching everyone come together to celebrate the miracle of life.

As for me, I couldn't be happier to have my sisters and their babies under the same roof as me. Being an massi was a dream come true, and I relished every moment spent with my precious nephews. Their infectious laughter and adorable antics brought a smile to my face, and I knew that our home would never be the same again.

On this enchanting evening, our beloved family gathered together to commemorate the joyous arrival of my precious nephews. The air was filled with anticipation as we prepared for a delightful mini dinner get-together. The dining table was adorned with exquisite decorations, shimmering candles casting a warm glow upon the room. The aroma of delectable dishes wafted through the air, tantalizing our senses and setting the stage for a truly memorable celebration.

As the evening unfolded, laughter and merriment echoed through the halls of our humble abode. The clinking of glasses and the gentle hum of conversation created a symphony of happiness. Each family member, dressed in their finest attire, radiated with love and excitement. The room was adorned with photographs capturing cherished memories, reminding us of the journey that led us to this momentous occasion.

The dinner table was a sight to behold, adorned with an array of delectable delicacies. Succulent roasted meats, accompanied by vibrant seasonal vegetables, were meticulously prepared to satisfy even the most discerning palate. The clinking of cutlery against fine china resonated as we indulged in the feast before us. Amidst the joyous chatter, stolen glances and secret smiles were exchanged, for forbidden love had found its way into our midst, adding an element of intrigue to the celebration.

As I stroll past my brother and Aman engaged in a conversation, my curiosity gets the better of me, and I can't resist eavesdropping. The words that reach my ears send shockwaves through my entire being. "Aman, you need to tell her. She deserves to know," my brother insists, his voice filled with a sense of urgency. What on earth could Aman possibly need to disclose to me?

Aman's response catches me completely off guard, leaving me dumbfounded. "No, Lalli. I love her so much that I can't bear to hurt her," he confesses, his voice trembling with emotion. The realization hits me like a ton of bricks. How is it even possible that Aman loves me? The thought seems inconceivable, yet his words ring true.

Suddenly, my brother interjects, his tone filled with determination. "Aman, Prabh is my sister. I only want what's best for her. She deserves to know that she'll be marrying you," he declares, his words echoing in my mind. My heart skips a beat, and time seems to stand still. I can hardly believe what I'm hearing. The idea of marrying Aman, of spending my life with him, feels overwhelming. It's a decision I never anticipated making, and now I find myself torn between my own desires and the wishes of my brother.

In that moment, a surge of defiance courses through my veins. I refuse to be forced into a marriage I don't want. The mere thought of it fills me with a sense of rebellion. No, I won't marry Aman. I won't let anyone dictate my future. I am determined to forge my own path, to follow my heart's desires, even if it means going against the expectations of my family.

Tears streamed down my face as I confronted Aman, my voice trembling with hurt and betrayal. "How could you do this to me?" I cried out, my heart shattered into a million pieces.

Memories of our friendship flooded my mind, the laughter and the tears we had shared. We had our fair share of arguments, but I had always considered him my best friend. Little did I know that behind the facade of our camaraderie, he had been using me all along. The revelation hit me like a ton of bricks, leaving me feeling deceived and broken.

"You were my best friend. Okay yeah we fought but that didnt mean i didnt think of you as my best friend! But you used me! You knew about this just like Harry jija knew about him marrying Gunu didi." I screamed. He sadly looked at me as if he was trying to hold me. Aman's eyes pleaded with me to listen, but I couldn't bear to hear his explanations. With a heavy heart, I pushed him away and fled to the solace of my room, seeking refuge from the pain that had consumed me.

"Prabh please listen to me." He began speaking but I pushed him away and ran up the stairs to my room.

Collapsing onto the cold, hardwood floor of my dimly lit room, I surrendered to the overwhelming surge of emotions that consumed me. Tears streamed down my face, as if each droplet carried a piece of my shattered heart. How could my own flesh and blood, my family, turn their backs on me? The very thought pierced my soul like a dagger, leaving me gasping for air amidst the suffocating pain.

The weight of betrayal hung heavy in the air, suffocating me with its bitter presence. My mind replayed the memories, each one a painful reminder of the trust I had placed in Aman. How could he, my confidant, my partner in crime, stoop so low? The bond we shared, forged through countless trials and tribulations, now lay shattered like shards of glass. The realization hit me like a thunderbolt, leaving me questioning everything I thought I knew.

In the depths of my despair, I clung to the remnants of my shattered world. The tears that cascaded down my cheeks were not just tears of sorrow, but also tears of anger and defiance. I vowed to rise from the ashes, to rebuild what had been torn asunder. The betrayal may have wounded me, but it would not define me. With each sob that wracked my body, I found strength, determination, and a burning desire for justice. The road ahead would be treacherous, but I was ready to face it head-on, for I was not just a victim of betrayal, but a survivor destined to reclaim my rightful place.