chapter thirty-five: wine tasting

Since Ana wanted to be a good friend, she decided to help Sarah with the wedding preparations.

And when Sarah asked her to look at the location where she wanted to get married, Ana also agreed. After all, it was about a wine and cake tasting. But they had more fun drinking the wine than just tasting it. And pretty quickly they both got a little drunk.

And it wasn't even Ana's own fault. Sarah knew what she was doing. She asked Ana to go to that restaurant with her, but after trying five different wines and cakes, Sarah jumped up in shock while staring at her phone.

"Shit, I have to go" Sarah whispered and Ana stared at her confused.

"Wait, what?" she asked back.

"I need to find Drew, I think something bad happened."

"What do you mean something bad happened?" Ana asked back, also slowly becoming more concerned.

"I'll call you later, okay? And I'll get someone to join you right away, you don't have to do this alone" she replied and quickly packed up her bag.

"Sarah, wait, I can come with you, maybe you need help?"

"No" Sarah immediately told her, "Today was the only free date, I have to decide on a cake today. Please take care of this for me, okay? I really have to go to Drew.."

Ana was a little too drunk to notice that Sarah was obviously lying to her, "Uh, yeah, of course. You want one with strawberries, right?"

"Yes, please. I'll call Kylie right away, or Louis, or someone else, okay?" Sarah promised her before leaving the bakery.

Ana stared after her, overwhelmed. What the fuck is going on here? She wants her to stay here to try cakes while something bad happened to her boyfriend?

Alarmed, Ana also got up, picked up her jacket and was about to leave the shop when she got a text,

'Please take care of this. I owe you one' - Sarah

Ana stood still for a few seconds, then sighed and sat back down. These cakes seemed to be really fucking important to Sarah. So she wanted to do her a favor, Sarah probably was just a little stressed out from all the wedding preparations.

And up until the moment Sarah's father entered the bakery, she believed her friend. But right now, she thought she was imagining things.

She wasn't that drunk, but drunk enough to see people who aren't even here, right?

Overwhelmed, she stared at the man who was currently looking worriedly across the room.

Ana let out a shaky breath and turned around. She stared stubbornly at the wall and hoped he wouldn't see her, because by now she was pretty sure it was Joel.

And her worries were confirmed when she heard her name, "Anabella?"

She briefly considered ignoring him, or pretending she hadn't heard him. But she knew that wouldn't help. So she slowly turned around again and stared at the confused man standing in front of her.

"Joel? What are you doing here?" she asked with furrowed brows.

"Sarah asked me to pick her up"

"Well, uhm, she already left" Ana replied and emptied the next glass. She didn't even know how many glasses she had already had, but maybe some liquid courage would help her.

"She left?" he asked confused, "But she just called me and asked me to pick her up. She said she finished choosing a cake and wine"

"She.. what? But Sarah asked me to stay to choose a cake and wine" Ana replied confused.